About this courseSkip About this course
Learn how to design effective strategy processes and to spot fundamental market and technology changes in your industry. This foundational course enables you to analyze shifting industry structures and develop new capabilities in times of industry transition by covering different parts of strategy:
The Process of Strategy
- What precisely is strategy and why does it matter?
- What are the building blocks of strategy and how can they be arranged as a process?
- What distinct conceptions of the strategy process co-exist and what are their advantages and disadvantages?
Analyzing Industry Structure
- What is the role of the industry and its structure for firm performance?
- How to unpack industries and identify the most attractive strategic positions to occupy therein?
- How to identify what it takes to outcompete others in our strategic group?
Developing Internal Resources
- Can firms succeed in generally unattractive industries?
- How to find out which resources and capabilities are likely to have the greatest strategic value?
- What are dynamic capabilities and how do they matter for firm survival and performance?
All key ideas from the online lectures are illustrated through a real-life case study on Tesla and its role in the technological transformation of the global automotive industry to help you better prepare for real-life situations in your company.
After completing this course you will improve your career qualifications as Business Development Manager , Sales Manager or Consultant. Professionals from the industries of the Automotive , IT , Finance , Health Car e, Telecommunication and the Energy sector have already completed the course.
This course is part of the "Managing Technology & Innovation: How to deal with disruptive change" MicroMasters program designed to teach the critical skills needed to be successful in this exciting field. In order to qualify for the MicroMasters Credential, you will need to earn a Verified Certificate in each of the six courses of the RWTHx MicroMasters program.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- To understand key concepts and selected theories in strategic management
- To identify the building blocks of strategy and arrange them in a cohesive process
- How to analyze the (shifting) structure of your industry
- Renew or extend internal resources and capabilities, especially in times of far-reaching technological changes
THEME 1: UNPACKING THE PROCESS OF STRATEGY
Week 1: Strategy Concept
- Strategy Definitions : Understand the etymological origins of the concept and review key definitions.
- Strategy Evolution : Explore the evolution of strategic thinking.
Week 2: Strategy Process
- Strategy Models : Discuss the dominant perception of strategy process and its limitations.
- Strategy Schools : Distinguish between a conception of strategy as design and of strategy as emergence.
THEME 2: ANALYZING INDUSTRY STRUCTURES
Week 3: Industry Analysis
- Market-Based View : Learn about the theoretical foundations of the MBV and the process of industry analysis.
- Five Forces : Review and apply Porter’s model of industry analysis.
Week 4: Strategic Group Analysis
- Strategic Segmentation : Understand how to identify clusters of strategically similar firms within one industry.
- Key Success Factors : Learn how to identify key success factors for strategic groups.
THEME 3: DEVELOPING INTERNAL RESOURCES
Week 5: Internal Resources
- Resource-Based View : Learn about the theoretical foundations of the RBV and compare it to the MBV.
- Resource Analysis : Become familiar with the way in which resources and capabilities can be analyzed. systematically.
Week 6: Dynamic Capabilities
- Dynamic Capability View : Introduce and explicate the concept of dynamic capabilities and its value for strategic management.
- Capability Development: Identify ways to strengthen sensing, seizing and reconfiguring capabilities.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$199 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Our MicroMasters program consists out of six courses. To gain the MicroMasters credential you need to complete all of the courses. You’re free to choose in which order you would like to take the courses but the chronological order is recommended.
There are always several courses open for enrollment in different runs. To avoid any confusion you’ll find a list of all start dates for the future courses in the different runs following.
It’s not necessary to complete all six courses of the same run to receive the MicroMasters Credential. It only matters that you received a certificate in all six courses in general.
MTI001x : Managing Disruptive Change
MTI002x : Customer-Centric Innovation
MTI003x : Innovation and Creativity Management
MTI004x : Thinking & Acting like an Entrepreneur
MTI005x : Strategic Management: From Intuition to Insight
MTI006x : Strategic Management: From Insight to Decision
MTI – Run 4
MTI004x – 30 January 2019
MTI005x – 27 March 2019
MTI006x – 29 May 2019
MTI – Run 5
MTI001x – 14 November 2018
MTI002x – 16 January 2019
MTI003x – 13 March 2019
MTI004x – 15 May 2019
MTI005x – 17 July 2019
MTI006x – 18 September 2019
MTI – Run 6
MTI001x – 06 March 2019
MTI002x – 08 May 2019
MTI003x – 10 July 2019
MTI004x – 11 September 2019
MTI005x – 06 November 2019
MTI006x – 15 January 2020
MTI – Run 7
MTI001x – 12 June 2019
MTI002x – 14 August 2019
MTI003x – 16 October 2019
MTI004x – 15 January 2020
MTI005x – 18 March 2020
MTI006x – 13 May 2020
MTI – Run 8
MTI001x – 25 September 2019
MTI002x – 27 November 2019
MTI003x – 29 January 2020
MTI004x – 25 March 2020
MTI005x – 27 May 2020
MTI006x – 29 July 2020
MTI – Run 9
MTI001x – 08 January 2020
MTI002x – 11 March 2020
MTI003x – 06 May 2020
MTI004x – 08 July 2020
MTI005x – 09 September 2020
MTI006x – 04 November 2020
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.