About this courseSkip About this course
Technology innovation can be a great enabler for development in low and middle-income countries. This course presents a methodology and an approach to develop impactful innovations that have the power to foster sustainable development.
Whether you are from an industrialized or a developing country, whether you are employed in a company, an NGO, an international organization or a government. Whether you are an academic, an independent entrepreneur, or simply a passionate individual, this course is for you.
You will learn how, as an innovator, you can help solve important issues that burden those living in poverty.
Through practical examples, we will demonstrate how you can take your initiative from a blank sheet of paper through to large-scale deployment of your technology innovation.
This course is not just about coming up with a nice idea, or designing a nice prototype, but more importantly, about sustainably deploying it at large scale.
It fosters an entrepreneurial approach, as you will learn how to design business models that are relevant to address development-related challenges. It encourages co-creating the solution with the key stakeholders involved, including the affected populations.
Coming-up with solutions that are more affordable and more durable, that require less use of consumables and electricity while still being economically viable, concerns all of us, and not just the people living in poverty.
There is no previous knowledge required.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Determine how contextual factors influence technology development and deployment.
- Create innovative technologies that sustainably impact poverty.
- Lead a technology innovation process -from initial concept to product scale-up- maximizing impact and minimizing risk.
- Evaluate alternative business models for technologies intended to impact poverty.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
- This is a great course! You are both wonderful presenters.
- I really appreciate the mode of presentations and the Quality of Professionals delivering the course.
- Excelent, I seaw different points that I had never considered.