Lo que aprenderás
- Identify the impact of variable renewable energy sources (VRES) and smart energy demand on electrical power grids; and different tools and approaches to design a smart grid.
- Apply optimal power flow (OPF) solutions to evaluate the performance of an electrical power system with integrated renewable energy sources.
- Analyze intelligent electrical power system dynamics (frequency stability) to achieve active power balance, and identify control-room technologies for system-wide remote monitoring, protection and risk management of smart grid cyber security.
- Simulate a 9-bus grid, with and without variable renewable resources.
- Analyze and mitigate the impact of “intelligent” but common grid disturbances in electrical power systems.
Electrical power grids of the future will differ significantly from the power systems of the twentieth century. Current applications of smart grids around the world already solve some issues related to energy transmission. These include the small capacity and intermittent nature of renewable resources; the constraints of existing lines operated close to their thermal and stability limits; and uni-directional transmission from production to user. In addition, new ‘intelligent’ demand of products and devices such as electric vehicles and heat pumps demand changes in the way electricity is transmitted.
Why are smart grids the answer? Being robust and flexible, intelligent electrical power grids effectively coordinate energy supply and demand in a dynamic way. This enables the electricity from solar cells or wind farms, for example, to be incorporated within the distribution network. Biogas could be introduced locally within the gas network. Last but not least, smart grids also provide the flexibility needed to stimulate change in the energy market such as product innovation, privatization and internationalization.
Understanding smart grids is a must for advancing your career in the energy sector, particularly in the fields of renewable energies, governmental policy, or consultancy.
In the first course, you will be introduced to the layout of a smart grid, its components, its dynamics and the challenges in modeling and studying it. In the second course, you will put this knowledge into practice and develop your own models and scenarios to study and analyze the outcomes of some common smart grid disturbances.
Cursos en este programa
Certificación Profesional en Smart Grids Integration and Modeling de DelftX
- 4–6 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
Understand the basics of smart grids. Learn about their heterogeneity, dynamics, control, and about security and assessment strategies.
- Inició el 2 nov 20214–6 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
Learn to build a model of a smart power grid, and to diagnose the effects of disturbances from variable renewable energy resources and intelligent demand on the grid.
- Renewable energy introduction in existing electrical power systems is growing at a fast rate and increasingly impacts the stability of the existing electrical power systems.
- Implementing renewable energy in an existing electrical power system requires simulation and evaluation of the impact of variable renewable energy sources on the system.
- Job opportunities include engineering and consultancy roles at renewable energy companies, in particular solar and wind engineering companies, leading consultancy firms.
- Smart grid engineers are involved with designing systems that can regulate smart grids and make them operate effectively. Work involves analyzing and solving (simulated or foreseen) grid disturbances in electrical power systems.
Conoce a tus instructores de Delft University of Technology (DelftX)
Expertos de DelftX comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea
Massive development of power electronic connected solar and wind power plants is a huge challenge for the electrical system. Intelligent electrical power grids contain unconventional and modern solutions to accommodate this scale of renewable energy sources. Understanding both the cause as well as the remedial operational actions are the important learnings of this program.