Lo que aprenderás
- Components of solar radiation, solar cells and standard solar spectrum characteristics;
- Monitoring of air quality, meteorology and challenges in harsh climates;
- Energy yield of PV modules and how to predict it under specific environmental conditions;
- PV module reliability, soiling and mitigation strategies;
- Use of techno-economic models of PV technology diffusion to measure economic impact.
Desert regions are attractive for solar energy, with much sunshine and many opportunities for utility-scale and residential applications. However, their harsh climate creates challenges for photovoltaic (PV) module performance, reliability and energy forecasting.
This program focuses on solar resource assessment and PV solar cell and module design for hot, dusty climates. The program will teach you the essentials on solar radiation and will explore the challenges associated with air quality and meteorology in harsh climates. By using videos, demonstrations, dynamic learning activities and real world data you will learn about the practicalities of PV technology and how best to tailor PV cells and modules for the conditions of the desert.
We recommend that you complete the courses in the suggested order. However, you may enroll in either course based on your experience and interest.
The knowledge gained in this Professional Certificate program will help solar engineers, investors and energy policymakers to understand and mitigate the challenges associated with siting, deploying and operating PV in hot desert climates.
Cursos en este programa
Certificación Profesional en Solar Energy in Hot Desert Climates de HBKUx
- 1–3 horas por semana durante 7 semanas
Learn how to use the components of solar radiation,solar spectrum, forecasting and meteorology to advocate and plan for deploying PV in desert climates
- This programme will support individuals, industry and governments to: explore the economic, political, environmental and social benefits of PV in hot desert climates;
- Develop skills and a toolkit of resources that allow participants to leverage the potential of PV in their context;
- Adopt effective strategies to reduce the cost of PV energy and mitigate the effects of harsh desert conditions.
Conoce a tus instructores
Expertos de HBKUx comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea
Driven by environmental and economic considerations, solar energy is playing an increasing role in our lives. Desert areas are attractive for solar energy, but also come with major challenges. Professionals in the solar energy industry would benefit from taking this Professional Certificate program focused on practical information and solutions to maximize the benefit of solar energy in desert climates. Kahramaa is leading Qatar’s efforts in deploying utility-scale solar energy power plants in Qatar’s desert climate. This program will benefit our employees and the professionals working with Kahramaa on these important projects.
The program provides crucial insight into the unique operating environment that PV installations face in the desert, and equips participants with vital knowledge for working on PV installations in such a challenging environment.