There is one session available:
Create Innovative Teams with Design Thinking
About this courseSkip About this course
Explore the role of design thinking for teams with the University of Adelaide
A design thinking approach is crucial for problem-solving and encouraging innovation. On this four-week course from the University of Adelaide, you’ll learn how to implement design thinking principles to increase innovation in your team.
The course has been carefully designed to help you gain practical knowledge you can use in your context. You’ll learn the basics of design thinking to enable your team to generate and implement ideas rapidly.
By the end, you’ll understand how to analyse your own team environment and get started with design thinking for innovation.
Unpack the principles of design thinking
As you learn what design thinking is and how it differs from other approaches, you’ll discover the benefits of this approach for teams and organisations.
You’ll learn the core principles of design thinking and how they work in action. This knowledge will ensure you know how to apply the principles to problem-solve in your context.
Delve into idea generation
Idea generation is an important component of innovative teams. On the course, you’ll learn how to implement team-based methods for idea generation.
You’ll learn techniques for idea expansion and visualisation, as well as selection, refinement, and implementation.
Learn how to implement design thinking in a team environment
With the knowledge of design thinking principles and benefits, you’ll then learn how to implement design thinking within your team environment.
Exploring real-life examples, you’ll learn the steps you can take to bring design thinking to your team and overcome the hurdles you may encounter.
This course is designed for new or emerging managers, or team leaders from any industry.
You’ll be supported to upskill and update your approach to management, no matter what industry you are working in.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the benefits of implementing design thinking in a team environment.
- Apply principles of design thinking to develop well-defined problem statements.
- Identify team-based methods for expanding, refining, visualising, and implementing ideas.
- Explain how design thinking could be implemented in a team environment.
Week 1: What is Design Thinking?
- Define design thinking and explain how it differs from other approaches - Well define design thinking, consider 'wicked problems', and explore various problem-solving models.
- Explain the benefits of design thinking for teams and organisations - Well explain the benefits of design thinking, including divergent and convergent thinking in team environments.
Week 2: Principles of Design Thinking
- The core principles of design thinking - The need to engage, explore, and execute.
- What do these principles look like in action? - Learning through observation.
- What is a well-defined problem statement? - Let's consider how the principles are applied to develop them.
Week 3: Team-based Methods for Ideation
- Ideation, visualisation and selection - Gain the confidence to ideate and take ideas forwards.
- Idea implementation - Bringing your ideas to life through prototyping and testing.
Week 4: Implementing Design Thinking in a Team Environment
- Creating Design Thinking Cultures - Teamwork and intention supports innovation.
- Introducing Design Thinking to an Organisation - Know capability and plan for success.
- Hurdles to Overcome - One step at a time. Trust the process.