There is one session available:
Manage Team Performance
About this courseSkip About this course
Take your people management skills to the next level
No organisation can thrive unless its individuals are thriving too. On this four-week course from the University of Adelaide, you’ll learn how to draw connections between individual, team, and organisational performance, and unlock tangible strategies for optimising all three.
From SMART goals and coaching techniques to methods for measuring success, you’ll gain the tools you need to create a culture of high performance.
Explore the role of goal setting as a performance management strategy
Setting goals and expectations is a crucial part of people management. But only goals that are clearly defined and achievable will be conducive to team performance.
You’ll learn how to apply the SMART framework to devise, set, and evaluate goals for your team.
Boost your soft skills by learning how to provide constructive feedback and coaching
Providing constructive feedback and coaching helps to ensure goals are met.
You’ll master effective techniques for rewarding achievement and sensitively addressing issues in your team’s performance.
Discover evidence-based methods for monitoring and improving performance
In the final week of the course, you’ll reflect on how team performance can be measured, monitored, and uplifted. Focusing on evidence-based evaluation methods, you’ll learn how to identify areas for improvement, while celebrating your employees’ successes.
By the end of the course, you’ll have the skills and strategies you need to lead a confident, motivated, and high-performing team.
This course is designed for new and emerging managers or team leaders working in any industry. It may also interest more experienced managers looking to upskill or update their approach to management.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the link between organisational performance and individual performance.
- Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of objectives aligned to organisational goals.
- Describe principles for giving meaningful feedback and coaching to employees.
- Identify appropriate strategies for measuring success and handling improvements.
Week 1: Line of Sight
- Why should we measure performance?- We will discover the importance of measuring and acting on team performance.
- Connecting team goals to organisational goals - We will understand the link between team and larger organisation goals.
- Connecting individual goals to team goals - We will discover how individual team member goals impact the overall goals.
Week 2: SMART Goals
- What are SMART goals and why are they effective? - We'll discover SMART-goal setting and why it works.
- Constructing SMART goals - Let's look at how to construct a SMART goal.
- Progress with SMART goals - We’ll consider the link between the goals and organisations and also how to move forward with our goals.
Week 3: Feedback and Coaching
- The role of feedback and coaching in performance management and improvement - Understand the role of feedback and coaching in managing teams.
- Principles of good feedback - We'll discover the importance of giving good feedback and some techniques to do so.
- Coaching techniques and when to use them - Learn how and when to use coaching techniques with your team members.
Week 4: Performance Measurement and Improvement
- Evidence-based methods for measuring performance - Discover the importance of having clear metrics for measuring team performance.
- Recognising and celebrating success - How to recognise and celebrate team wins.
- Identifying areas for improvement in performance - Identify and isolate specific areas of improvement in team performance.
- Strategies for uplifting performance - We'll discover strategies to improve the performance of our team where we've identified areas of improvement.