There is one session available:
Manage Virtual and Hybrid Teams
About this courseSkip About this course
Keep your virtual or hybrid teams connected and working efficiently
Working practices have radically evolved over the last five years. Being able to lead, motivate, and supervise a team remotely is a crucial part of management today.
On this four-week course from the University of Adelaide, you’ll gain the skills and strategies you need to lead a motivated and efficient virtual team.
You’ll consider a range of factors affecting virtual work, including diversity, connection, and communication.
Explore the changing nature of work and new developments in virtual communication
You’ll begin by reviewing the status quo in virtual communication and virtual management.
Weighing up the advantages and disadvantages of remote and hybrid work, you’ll discover how managers decide what model is best for their team or organisation.
Learn what makes a successful digital workplace
Focusing on critical success factors, you’ll examine what works and what doesn’t in virtual and hybrid working environments.
You’ll also gain a toolkit for monitoring your colleagues’ wellbeing and performance from behind a screen.
Master strategies for managing remote teams
Guided by your course leader, you’ll delve deeper into virtual communication and management strategies. You’ll learn how taking a trust-based approach to management can help to involve and inspire employees working remotely.
By the end of the course, you’ll have the practical skills you need to stay connected with colleagues and boost your organisation’s efficiency.
This course is designed for managers or team leaders working in organisations that are completely or partially operating remotely. It is primarily aimed at new or emerging managers, but may also interest more experienced managers looking to upskill or update their approach to virtual management.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess the pros and cons of virtual/hybrid working.
- Identify critical success factors in managing virtual and hybrid teams.
- Describe strategies for assessing efficacy within a virtual/hybrid team environment.
- Identify appropriate management strategies for improving performance in virtual/hybrid teams.
Week 1: The changing nature of work
- What are virtual and hybrid ways of working? - We will discover what these types of working are, and whether they are new concepts.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of virtual and hybrid ways of working? - We will discover the pros and cons of these working environments.
- What motivates teams in these environments? - How has motivation changed in the light of these work environments?
- How can managers objectively assess the benefits or otherwise for their team and their organisation? - We will discover how to assess which method of working we might utilise for success in our team.
Week 2: Success in virtual and hybrid teams
- What works and what doesn't work in virtual and hybrid teams?- We'll explore how to measure what is working and not working in virtual and hybrid teams.
- Critical success factors for virtual environments - Let's explore the success factors for hybrid and virtual teams and take a look at how we can maintain the organisation's purpose.
- Setting boundaries - Well discover the importance of setting boundaries with virtual work and how to do this as a leader.
Week 3: Is it working for me?
- Signs and symptoms that things are working or not working in virtual or hybrid teams - We'll discover how to pick up on cues that things are working or not working well in a virtual environment with our team.
- Collaborative approaches to assessing performance and well-being in virtual or hybrid environments - We'll discover how to assess performance and collaborate with our team to promote good performance and well-being in a virtual environment.
Week 4: Management strategies
- Taking a trustbased approach to management in virtual or hybrid environments - Well discover the importance of taking a trust-based approach to managing our team in these environments.
- Engaging the team to implement change -We’ll discover how to collaborate and communicate effectively with our team members in a virtual environment to create positive change.