IUx: Enterprise Data Management
Understand structured transactional data and known questions along with unknown, less-organized questions enabled by raw/external datasets in the data lakes. Topics include data strategy and data governance, relational databases/SQL, data integration, master data management, and big data technologies.
Enterprise Data Management
About this courseSkip About this course
This course will be retired.
High-quality information is the key to successful management of businesses. Despite the large quantity of data that is collected by organizations, managers struggle to obtain information that helps them make decisions. While operational processing systems help capture, store, and manipulate data to support day-to-day operations of organizations, reconciled systems -- sometimes referred to as data warehouses or business intelligence (BI) systems -- support the analysis of data, thus, enabling decision making.
With the advent of big data systems, organizations have turned to enterprise data management frameworks to manage and gain insights from the vast amount of data collected. While storage costs themselves are relatively affordable, the bigger challenge has been finding an appropriate mechanism to manage the data as many technologies (e.g., relational databases, data warehouses) have limitations on the amount of data that can be stored.
This course focuses on realizing the business advantage and business potential of operational, reconciled, and big data systems as well as data assets in supporting enterprise data management strategies and enterprise data analytics.
Verified Learners will need to purchase a textbook in order to successfully complete the course. See the FAQ for details.
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Business Intelligence, Data Management, Operations, Data Warehousing, Decision Making, Big Data, Data Analysis, Data Governance, Relational Databases, SQL (Programming Language), Data Lakes, Transaction Data
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Design relational databases that are used to manage operational systems.
- Query relational databases using Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Understand issues relating to data quality, describe the principles of data profiling, and master data management.
- Understand the need, definition, and types of data integration.
- Understand the meaning and architecture of data warehouse.
- Understand how to visualize data using graphical marks.
- Learn the physical and cognitive roots of vision.
- Learn to build more complicated visualizations and utilize data stories to deliver deeper, wider, and richer information.
- Understand the important questions that data governance seeks to address.
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
Does this course require a textbook?
Yes, if you are Verified Learner, a textbook is required. If you choose to verify, you will also need to purchase a copy of Hoffer, J., Venkataraman, R., & Topi, H. (2019). Modern Database Management (13 ed.). Pearson. Print ISBN: 9780134773650, 0134773659: eText ISBN: 9780134792293, 0134792297. This textbook typically costs around $59.99 to rent and $89.99 to purchase permanently. A digital copy is acceptable.