- 10 courses
- Fully online
PLEASE NOTE: The MicroMasters® in Accounting within the Kelley via edX platform is being suspended. This may be your final opportunity to sign up for the MicroMasters courses so if you have not yet verified for courses, please do so by March 8th! If you are planning to complete the MicroMasters courses so that you can gain entry into the Master of Science in Accounting program via the Kelley School of Business, please register for courses now as the MicroMasters pathway is required to enter into the MS in Accounting. Should you complete the MicroMasters this spring or summer term, your MS in Accounting will begin in Fall of 2022, which may be your final chance to complete the master’s degree in Accounting.
Accountants with deep financial expertise, business acumen, decision-making ability, and analytical skills are vital to businesses of all sizes. To enhance your professional opportunities in the accounting field, advancing your education with a master’s degree will help you develop a reliable foundation to pursue your career goals.
The online Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) program at the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, is designed for early- and mid-stage accounting professionals who are eager to establish themselves and prepare for growth. This graduate program includes accounting courses in financial reporting, financial statements, managerial accounting, tax planning and strategy, auditing, data analytics-based decision-making, and more.
Whether your career goal is to prepare to sit the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or deepen your financial expertise with a graduate-level credential, the online MS in Accounting program is both flexible and rigorous, allowing you to complete a high-quality master's degree program on your own schedule, and at your own pace. As a successful accounting graduate, you may pursue a range of professional opportunities in accounting firms, public accounting, or business administration.
To pursue this degree, prospective students must complete the MicroMasters® Program in Accounting as a verified learner by the 2022 Spring or Summer term.
- #11Accounting ProgramsUS News & World Report Best Graduate Business Schools, 2021
- #8Best ProfessorsThe Princeton Review, Best Business School, 2022
*Financial Aid including loans may be available. All federal financial aid benefits and restrictions apply to enrolled online MSA students and do not apply to courses in the adjoining MicroMasters courses. Federal aid enrollment requirements apply.
Our MS in Accounting comprises 10 courses at a total cost of $21,000. The first three courses, which make up the MicroMasters® credential, are $499 per course, payable to edX online as you enroll as a verified learner on the edX platform. Once you are accepted to the MS in Accounting program, the remaining seven courses cost approximately $2,785 per course, payable to Indiana University. Each term is 12 weeks long with four terms a year.
Important dates & deadlines
At least one college-level course on accounting principles with a grade of C or better is required as a prerequisite for the online Master of Science in Accounting degree program.
A full Master’s degree application includes the following:
- An undergraduate 4-year Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university in the United States or a comparable 4-year degree from a recognized institution of higher learning from outside of the United States.
- Personal Statement
- Recommendation from professional or academic contact
- Official GMAT or GRE Score (waived if undergraduate GPA at least 3.0 and 2 or more years of professional experience in business after the undergraduate degree)
- TOEFL: Required for international students only
The Master’s degree in Accounting requires 30 hours of coursework. Each of the 10 courses counts as 3 credit hours. Courses in the degree program are:
If you aren't sure online learning is for you or if you'd like to get a feel for the Master's program before you apply, start with the Accounting MicroMasters program from Indiana University
- Courses in the MicroMasters program may count towards credit
- Get deep learning designed to advance your career while you decide
- Strengthen your Master's application
- Recognized by employers for real life relevance
MicroMasters programs are offered by edX in connection with its university partners. In addition to offering a pathway to credit, these programs are recognized by employers for their real world relevance.Start MicroMasters Program
- The GMAT/GRE is required for this Master's Degree in Accounting but will be waived if undergraduate GPA at least 3.0 and 2 or more years of professional experience in business after the undergraduate degree.
- Yes, students in the online master's in accounting program have access to electronic resources from the Graduate Career Services Office from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. Additionally, students in the master’s program are encouraged to participate in the Bloomington commencement ceremony.
- Master of Science in Accounting from the Indiana University Kelley School of Business.
- Yes, if English is not your first language you will need to take either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- MicroMasters programs are unique to edX university partners. They are a series of graduate-level courses from top universities designed to advance your career and offer a pathway to a full Master’s degree. The Kelley School of Business offers a MicroMasters program in Accounting. This three-course series is designed to provide foundational accounting information and can strengthen your application to—and count as credit towards—the Master’s degree in Accounting program. It can also advance your career on its own if you choose not to pursue the full degree. The three MicroMasters program courses are: Financial Reporting I, Managerial Accounting and Corporate Control, and Taxes and Decision Making. You do not have to apply to the Master's program before registering for these courses. They are open to everyone. These three courses represent 30% of the coursework in the online MSA program from the Kelley School, which will be counted towards Master's credit if you are admitted into the Master’s degree program.
- You are expected to begin coursework in the term for which you applied and were admitted. You may request to defer your program start a maximum of one time by providing a written request to the admissions office. If your deferral request is approved, you will be required to meet the degree requirements and pay the tuition rate effective at the time you matriculate into the program. If you do not enroll in courses in the next available start term, you will be administratively withdrawn. You must then fully apply for admittance into any future term and admission into future cohorts is not guaranteed.
- If you accepted admission into the Master of Science program prior to finishing the three MicroMasters® courses, you are expected to successfully complete those courses within one year. Students who do not pass all three MicroMasters® courses will be not be allowed to matriculate into the master’s program.
- Whether they are already experienced accounting professionals working as certified public accountants, or just starting out in their accounting careers, students in the Master's of Science in Accounting program may go on to hold job titles such as accountant, CPA, auditor, internal auditor, accounting manager, financial analyst, and controller. The MSA program can substantially improve accounting professionals' career prospects, in many cases helping them launch careers as CPAs at top accounting firms. Students who wish to become licensed Certified Public Accountants will need to take the Uniform CPA Examination. Although the CPA exam is a uniform nationally administered examination within the United States, the academic requirements needed to sit for the exam vary from state to state. It is each student’s responsibility to research the requirements to sit for the CPA exam based upon state guidelines. While our program is designed to strengthen your CPA evaluation outcome, it is each student's responsibility to prepare for and pass the CPA examination.
- Accounting students in the online Master's degree program get access to Indiana University library resources, online career resources, the largest worldwide alumni network of any business school in the world, and the graduate programs' graduate recognition ceremony and campus graduation.
- We do not offer any scholarships for this MSA program, but online Master’s students can apply for federal loans.
- Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.