What you will learn
- Fundamental knowledge of computer hardware and operating systems.
- Understand modern operating systems structure.
- Use the principles of computational thinking.
- Gain knowledge of state-of-the-art in network protocols, architectures, and applications.
- Learn the basic of Python programming.
This program introduces learners to the basics of computer programming and computer systems, including hardware, operating systems and computer networking.
No prior knowledge of programming or computer systems is required.
Computer Hardware & Operating Systems outline:
- Fundamentals of system hardware
- Introduction to OS concepts
- OS processes and threads
- Thread concurrency and deadlocks
- Memory management
Computer Networking outline:
- Computer networking overview
- Computer networking architecture: application, transport, network and link layers
- Network Security overview
Basics of Computing & Programming outline:
- Positional number systems
- Hello world
- Numerical data types and arithmetic expressions
- Branching statements
- Iterative/Loop statements
- Strings & Functions
- Array-based sequences/Lists
Courses in this program
NYUx's Computer Science Fundamentals MicroBachelors Program
Complete and pass with a 70% or higher the three program courses: Computer Hardware & Operating Systems, Computer Networking, and Basics of Computing and Programming.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroBachelors program certificate in Computer Science Fundamentals will be able to elect transferable college credit at no additional cost. This program is under review by Thomas Edison State University for credit recognition.
Meet your instructors
Experts from NYUx committed to teaching online learning