What you will learn
- Students will develop conceptual thinking skills to generate ideas and content in order to solve problems or create opportunities.
- Students will develop technical skills to realize their ideas.
- Students will understand and utilize digital media tools and technologies, while adapting to constantly changing paradigms by learning how to learn.
- Students will be able to integrate/interface different technologies within a technological ecosystem.
- Students will develop critical thinking skills that will allow them to analyze and position their work within cultural, historic, aesthetic, economic, and technological contexts.
With the evolution of media entities like Time Warner, NBC Universal and Condé Nast, it’s increasingly clear that the world is not just consuming media -- we’re experiencing it. The media communication industry is capitalizing on the potential of digital media, and to do that, they are seeing a growing need for design, creative, and UX professionals that have the skills to take them into the future--keeping them competitive, relevant, and innovative.
Whether you are a current or aspiring UI/UX Designer, Graphic Designer, or Multimedia artist, this program will equip you with the critical knowledge, as well as the technical and creative skills for designing interactive digital experiences that push boundaries and drive media forward. You will leave this program with programming skills and media frameworks that will elevate your career. By the end of your coursework, you will also have a professional portfolio of work that exemplifies your technical and creative skills, which you can present to peers, graduate school programs, and potential employers.
Whether you take these design and digital media skills directly to the workforce, or use them to apply to NYU’s exceptional online Master’s Degree in Integrated Digital Media, this program prepares you to successfully engage in a fast-growing and professionally rewarding creative field and community.
For completers of this MicroMasters program on edX, The Boston Globe Media Partners have guaranteed interviews for key roles with The Boston Globe, Boston.com, and STAT brands.
Courses in this program
NYUx's Integrated Digital Media MicroMasters® Program
- Started Jan 11, 20218–10 hours per week, for 8 weeks
This project-based capstone project draws upon the three courses in the IDM edX Micromasters by combining theory, social applications, and code. At the end you will have a portfolio-ready work.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must successfully earn a verified certificate in all three program courses, as well as the capstone course. Students must receive a B or better in each course to receive the MicroMasters program certificate.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
This program certificate counts towards 30% of the coursework required by the Integrated Digital Media Master's program at NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
- Students can advance their career and explore new possibilities of working with digital media as multimedia artists, graphic designers, web designers/developers, mobile application developers,or user experience designers.These skills are reinforced below:
- Students who complete this program are prepared for careers in UX/UI Design, Graphic Design, Accessibility Design, Product Design, Video Editing, VR Development, Website Development or Software Development
- According to Burning Glass, over the last 12 months in the U.S. alone, there were 75,174 job postings for UX/UI Designers, with expected job growth of 15% over the next 10 years
- Conceptual skills are practiced in the Theories & Cultural Impact of Media & Technology course, providing learners with a theoretical context in which they can think about and articulate their work.
- Professional skills are practiced in the Media Law class. Learners engage in case studies and real-world examples pertaining to intellectual property and copyright law. This prepares them as both producers and consumers of media content.
- Technical, professional, and conceptual skills will be applied in the capstone course. Learners will have the opportunity to create a portfolio-ready piece of significant depth and quality that can be used as a professional showcase of their talent.
Meet your instructors
At Microsoft, our core mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more. As digital impacts every aspect of our lives, the notion of “empowering EVERY person” highlights the pressing need for designers, developers and makers who are passionate and skilled in making sure that the intelligent devices and applications of the future are designed in an inclusive and accessible manner. NYU Tandon’s Integrated Digital Media program has consistently demonstrated a commitment to these core ideals of inclusivity – right down to making their curriculum more accessible and inclusive - everyone wins.
Boston Globe Media
Digital transformation has fundamentally changed how media organizations operate. The Boston Globe recognizes the need to be forward-thinking and prepared to identify and capitalize on new opportunities and navigate the challenges of our industry. At the core of what we do is the powerful journalism across each of our brands – The Boston Globe, STAT and Boston.com. In order to support the incredible work coming out of our newsrooms, there is an increasing reliance on leveraging technology, business strategy, product innovation and leadership in our organization. The MicroMasters® program delivers the knowledge and skillsets that are must-haves for the Globe as we continue to transform the business, develop our talent and recruit new candidates.
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.