What you will learn
- How organizations work: from understanding processes to diagnosing problems and effecting change.
- How to communicate effectively in a business setting: understanding diverse audiences and building sound arguments.
- How to use financial information to make good business decisions: the fundamental concepts of financial accounting, financial valuation, and making savings and investment decisions.
- The role of marketing in creating value for consumers: understand how organizations can succeed by analyzing consumer behaviour and acting on it.
In today’s job market, fundamental management, communication and decision-making skills as well as overall business acumen continue to be of high value to employers.
In this intensive MicroMasters program, taught by one of the world’s leading academic business schools, you will learn how business works at a fundamental level, giving you the solid foundation you need to gain a competitive edge and boost your employability. Verified learners will have access to live cases, dedicated feedback and access to real-world industry insights.
You will learn core concepts of accounting, marketing, finance, and organizational behaviour. You will learn how to communicate effectively in a business setting, and immerse yourself in the reality of the business world and how it works.
The skills obtained in this program will give you the confidence to move into a business role, take on more complex projects at work, or take the next step in your management career.
Courses in this program
UBCx's Business Fundamentals MicroMasters® Program
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all six MicroMasters program courses. It is recommended learners take Business Foundations and Business Communications before enrolling in the other courses in the program.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners can combine a MicroMasters program certificate with on-campus study at UBC Sauder to receive a UBC Master of Management Degree. Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply for the Master of Management. Other eligibility and admission requirements apply - see the UBC Sauder website for further details.
Learners who have earned the MicroMasters program certificate would be credited for 6 credits of the 31.5 credit Master of Management, and be able to complete the degree following only six months of study on campus compared to the regular nine month program.
- Fundamental business training can help you secure your first significant business role, or take a next step in your management career.
- Employees in technical roles looking to bridge the gap to a management career will find their job prospects significantly enhanced by the MicroMasters program.
- Job roles that would benefit include: sales/marketing coordinator, office manager, executive assistant, customer representative, management trainee, and technician.
Meet your instructors
Experts from UBCx committed to teaching online learning
At Hootsuite, we value and encourage continuous professional development. Having hired and been impressed with numerous graduates from the UBC Master of Management program, we’re excited to see this new MicroMasters program offering aimed at helping individuals pace their own understanding of business communication, financial accounting, marketing, and organizational behavior—all core business competencies essential for professionals who want to succeed in today’s marketplace.
1) Academic achievement (GPA of B+/76%/3.3). 2) GMAT 650 or GRE 310+ (Min GMAT 550/GRE 300). 3) Professional experience, no work experience required to a maximum of 2 years. 4) Minimum of 2 references. 5) Written and video essays. 6) English proficiency tests. 7) Personal interview.
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.