What you will learn
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of various leadership styles, and gain insight into your own leader tendencies.
- Improve your ability to lead complex modern organisations by developing your decision-making skills.
- Better engage your people, and develop more collaborative teams.
- Navigate the broader social issues and political pressures impacting your business.
- Lead more effective change initiatives in your organization
Business leadership is more than just a fancy job title and a corner office. Effective leadership requires a deep understanding of the organisation; the people who run it; the context in which it operates; and perhaps most importantly, self-insight. By building these competencies, the Business Leadership MicroMasters program prepares both emerging and experienced managers for facing the challenges of leadership.
Each course in the MicroMasters program integrates current academic theories with the wisdom of experienced leaders, providing a learning experience that can’t be accomplished in the classroom alone. The objective: empower learners with the knowledge and skill to act effectively as leaders.
This MicroMasters program is intended for people who are interested in becoming effective leaders within their organization. This program and capstone project will teach you the skills needed to inspire your colleagues and to evolve your business.
Courses in this program
UQx's Business Leadership MicroMasters® Program
- 8–10 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Learn effective strategies for developing, articulating, and implementing organizational change initiatives that can help lead your organization to success.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the MicroMasters program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Business Leadership courses and pass the Capstone Assessment course.
From Program Certificate to a Master Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
The MicroMasters offers a program entry pathway into the Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics at The University of Queensland. Continuing business disruption has created an unprecedented demand industry for data analysis capabilities. Designed for business professionals of the future, this innovative program encourages a new take on data. You’ll gain a unique ability to speak the language of different organisational functions to bridge gaps and transform direction through data. Enjoy the flexibility of a program that's taught with a part-time workload. The program is accessible to students around the world, with increased flexibility. You can choose to study at times that suit your work and life commitments. On completion of this Graduate Certificate program, you can choose to progress to the Master of Business Analytics.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate may be eligible for credit into The University of Queensland’s Master of Business program (offered on-campus). Credential holders who meet program entry requirements for the Master of Business may receive the equivalent of one semester of credit (8 units of ‘block’ general elective credit towards MBus Elective Options), reducing study time by 6 months (12-18 months of full-time study remaining for the Master of Business degree completion). You can continue your studies in Leadership, or choose one of our other specialisations: Advertising, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing, Organisational Sustainability, or Supply Chain Management.
If you use a MicroMasters program certificate as a basis of entry to a UQ Master’s program, academic credit cannot be granted for this MicroMasters program in accordance with the University’s recognised prior learning policy. If you use an alternative method of entry (i.e., not a MicroMasters program) into the program, you may be eligible for credit. Please refer to the FAQs below for further information.
- More than 80% of responding employers say they look for leadership skills and the ability to work in a team on a candidate’s resume (Source: NACE’s Job Outlook 2016 Survey).
- Over 500,000 jobs in US (requiring a master’s degree) looking for candidates with the following skills - leadership, decision making, teamwork / collaboration, management, and change management. (Source: BurningGlass).
- In-demand jobs seeking leadership skills include software engineers, account managers, business analysts, marketing managers, and sales managers.
Meet your instructors from The University of Queensland (UQx)
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
Our industry does not progress on individual performance – success comes, in part, from collaborative teams and inspirational leaders. If a charismatic candidate knocks on the Woollam door with a UQx MicroMasters credential in Business Leadership and the authenticity to build and drive a high performing team – then we know they are bringing a powerful competitive advantage to the job.
Our Virgin Australia leaders and their teams are key to ensuring we deliver the world’s most rewarding travel experience to our approximately 23 million guests who fly each year. Complementing our existing UQ Executive Education partnership, the UQx MicroMasters in Business Leadership program provides an effective opportunity to learn the fundamentals of leadership, without the constraints of a traditional classroom environment.
- To enrol in a postgraduate program at UQ, learners must apply and qualify for program entry. Successful completion of the MicroMasters program may offer a credit pathway in the Master of Business program only. Find out more at: https://business.uq.edu.au/study or reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Existing UQ students are permitted up to 8 units (or four courses) credit based on the completed MicroMasters program for academic credit towards the Master of Business program. Students must have MBus Elective Option capacity to apply for this credit. If you have any questions about applying for credit or your study plan, please reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at email@example.com
- Students who use the MicroMasters program certificate as a basis of entry to UQ programs will not be permitted to earn academic credit from the MicroMasters program in accordance with the University’s recognised prior learning policy (https://ppl.app.uq.edu.au/content/3.50.03-recognition-prior-learning). Please reach out to the Business School Student Administration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.