What you will learn
- To design VR applications with Unity 3D
- How OpenGL works and is used to create realistic looking applications
- To transform coordinate systems for 3D interactions
- Hardware components for VR and how they work
- What makes a VR application successful
- How to create your own VR app
- How to use this VR program to develop augmented reality (AR) applications
Virtual reality (VR) is one of the hottest emerging technologies in the entertainment industry today. Millions of VR devices have been sold in the US alone, but most software developers have no formal training on the technology. This Professional Certificate program will teach you what VR devices exist, how VR technology works, and how to write software, often called VR experiences, for it.
You will learn effective 3D interaction techniques to use VR applications, how to write VR applications in WebVR and Unity 3D, and what features make a VR application successful. You will also learn the required mathematics for successful VR applications and how computer graphics are rendered onto a screen.
The final course in this program will allow you to apply the material learned in the previous courses to create your own VR app.
This program will provide you with a strong foundation to develop VR apps in all areas VR is used, including entertainment and gaming. This VR program also provides a solid foundation for people who want to develop augmented reality (AR) applications.
Courses in this program
UCSanDiegoX's Virtual Reality (VR) App Development Professional Certificate
- Virtual reality will generate $25 billion of revenue worldwide by the year 2021. (Source: Statistica)
- VR jobs start at $75k/year and range up to $200k/year. (Source: MediaJobs.com)
- “One of the more vibrant, up-and-coming sectors of the tech industry these days is virtual reality.” (Source: Forbes)
- "Now’s the time to get in on the ground floor of this cutting-edge sector.” (Source: Monster.com)
Meet your instructors
At Qualcomm we are working on the next generation of mobile computing devices. Virtual and augmented reality are an important part of it. We value software developers with a strong foundation in 3D computer graphics programming and an understanding of virtual and augmented reality technology. It is my belief that candidates who successfully completed the edX Professional Certificate for Virtual Reality Application Development will be at an advantage when applying to Qualcomm's computer graphics groups.
At Sixense Entertainment Inc. we need software developers with strong knowledge in the areas of computer graphics and virtual reality. Applicants who successfully completed the edX Professional Certificate for Virtual Reality Application Development will have a significant advantage.