What you will learn
- Undertake a specific “design thinking” process to improve your business model
- Conduct market and competitor analysis
- Evaluate financial and staffing models
- Develop a plan for business evolution
- Apply ideation and innovation for sustainability
- Pitch your business evolution and compete for prize money
In this Professional Certificate program, you will learn the skills to assess your business model and plan for growth and sustainability. The biggest breakthroughs in scaling businesses have come from innovations in business models.
Is your business ready for the next level? Experienced entrepreneurs will offer you feedback about your plan to improve your business model which could transform your company!
In these courses you will learn to solidify the basics and prepare for scaling your existing business.
You will answer some of the following questions:
- Can you tweak your offering to improve your value proposition to your customer?
- Do you have the right market fit?
- Which channels will provide the biggest ROI?
- Have you prepared to add resources or new processes to scale?
- What innovations can you create or exist to evolve your business model and business?
- Is there a key area that can be modified, scaled or automated to improve your efficiencies and grow your business?
- Are you utilizing social media well?
- Should you be outsourcing any functions/processes in the business?
- Do you have the right mindset to scale your business?
Our course model is set up for your success. You will be challenged to think about where you want to go, what turning points await you, and how to utilize resources to accelerate your plans.
Starting a business is not always the hard part - it's sustaining the business with a growth mindset and seeing opportunities to accelerate growth.
This program will provide you with the tools to assess your business model, identify opportunities for innovation and evolution, create a plan and put it into action.
By earning the Applied Entrepreneurship Professional Certificate, you will have created a viable plan to evolve your business into a thriving venture.
Learn from two top professors in the field:
Mark Grovic, J.D., B.A.
Senior Advisor to University of Maryland Global Campus, Professor and Venture Capitalist in Residence at the R.H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, Co-founder of New Markets Venture Partners, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), University of California, Berkeley; Juris Doctor (J.D.), Georgetown University Law Center; Private Equity and Venture Capital Executive Program, Harvard Business School
Michele K. Masterfano, DBA
Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland Global Campus, DBA in Marketing from Argosy University Sarasota, M.S. in Management Science from Lehigh University, B.A. in Liberal Arts from Pennsylvania State University. Seminar in Entrepreneurship Education, Babson College.
Courses in this program
UMGC and USMx's Applied Entrepreneurship: Scaling a Business for Success Professional Certificate
- Started Sep 21, 20202–3 hours per week, for 6 weeks
This course is for entrepreneurs who already have a small business and who want to accelerate that business for rapid growth. Learn techniques for innovating fresh ideas using design thinking.
- Starts Nov 9, 20202–3 hours per week, for 6 weeks
This course guides you through a step-by-step process to create an acceleration plan to grow your business, building on insights from Applied Entrepreneurship Course 1. Eligible learners can choose to participate in an acceleration plan competition, too.
- Turn your part time passion into a full-time job, create a plan that allows you to hire your first or next employees, and take your business to the next level.
- There are 23 million sole proprietors in the United States alone. Small businesses are 64 percent of U.S. gross domestic product, generate 62 percent of the country’s employment, and account for 78 percent of all new job creation.
- Small business ownership is a path toward upward mobility. There are high rates of small business ownership by minorities (29.3% of small businesses), immigrants (14.4%), and women (36.3%). Veterans also make up a large number, at 9.3%.
Meet your instructors
Nothing is more important to the economic success of an enterprise than having a clear vision of how to win. The UMGC Professional Certificate in Applied Entrepreneurship is a unique real world, project-based program that can truly help entrepreneurs accelerate their business. With 25 million people running their own business in the US alone, this program has the potential to make a real impact on the small business ecosystem.
We make loans to businesses throughout the United States ranging from start-ups to multi-million dollar revenue companies. Among the key criteria we consider for every potential loan are a company’s plans for business growth whether through new products, new customers, new markets or all of the above. In our decades of experience as a lender we have seen a company’s ability to execute on growth plans is directly correlated to the level of analytical rigor employed in developing and stress-testing ideas before launch. This UMGC course in Applied Entrepreneurship will help business leaders improve the quality and depth of their own planning process and by extension will help increase the odds of their business’ continued success.