What you will learn
- How to navigate the music industry as an independent artist, including how to network, leverage social media, and launch a crowdfunding campaign.
- Discuss how the music industry functions, including the various roles within the business, contract agreements, and how artists make money.
- Discuss the exclusive rights granted by copyright law and explain how to leverage those rights as a creator.
- Leverage skills used in musicianship to become a more effective entrepreneur.
This XSeries will give you the knowledge, both theoretical and practical, to launch your career in the music business as an artist, manager, agent, and/or producer. Authored by industry experts, this XSeries will allow you to learn music industry essentials at your own pace.
You will begin with Introduction to the Music Business, which provides a broad overview of the music business, including a history of the industry as well as the various roles that exist and how they relate to one another. You will learn how record contracts are structured as well as a basic overview of copyright law. From there, you will complete Building Your Career in Music: Developing a Brand and Funding, designed for both musical artists and those who wish to work with artists.
This course will help you identify the unique elements of your artistry and provide you with the practical business know-how you’ll need to build a fanbase, become a recording artist, and successfully run a crowdfunding campaign. Next, you will complete Copyright Law in the Music Business, which gets to the heart of compensation and revenue in the music business. You will have the opportunity to unpack high-profile copyright law cases involving world-renowned artists, gaining a better understanding of how to leverage the law to their benefit. Finally, you will complete Creativity and Entrepreneurship, in which you’ll learn what it takes to be an effective entrepreneur in the music business, learning skills that are essential for thriving in an ever-changing music industry.
Courses in this program
BerkleeX's Music Business: Industry Essentials XSeries Program
- 3–5 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Learn skills and listen to examples from world-renown entrepreneurs and innovators as they discuss the parallels between the creative and entrepreneurial journeys -- and why entrepreneurship, much like music or creativity, is something we all possess.
Meet your instructors from Berklee College of Music (BerkleeX)
Experts from BerkleeX committed to teaching online learning