What you will learn
- How to design and analyze circuits using both intuition and mathematical analysis
- How to construct simple digital circuits and improve their speed
- How to construct and analyze filters and their frequency response using capacitors and inductors
- Design circuits applications using MOS transistors and operational amplifiers
- How to measure circuit variables using tools such as virtual oscilloscopes, virtual multimeters, virtual frequency analyzers, and virtual signal generators
- Compare the measurements of the circuit variables with the behavior predicted by mathematical models and explain the discrepancies
Want to learn about circuits and electronics? Wondering how the electronics behind sensors and actuators works, or how to make computers run faster, or your mobile phone battery last longer? This series of circuits and electronics courses taught by edX CEO and MIT Professor Anant Agarwal and colleagues is for you.
These online Circuits & Electronics courses are taken by all MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) majors.
Topics covered include: circuit abstraction, circuit elements such as resistors and sources, signals, and networks; circuit design and circuit analysis methods; digital abstraction, digital logic, and basic digital design; electronic devices including MOSFETs, digital switches, amplifiers; Energy storage elements like capacitors and inductors; dynamics of first-order and second-order networks and circuit speed; design in the time and frequency domains; op-amps, filters, and analog and digital circuits, signal processing, and applications. Design and lab exercises are also significant components of the XSeries program.
Weekly coursework includes interactive video sequences, readings from the textbook, homework, fun online laboratories, and optional tutorials. Each course will also have a final exam.
These are self-paced courses, so there are no weekly deadlines.
“Brilliant course! It's definitely the best introduction to electronics in Universe! Interesting material, clean explanations, well prepared quizzes, challenging homeworks and fun labs.” - Ilya
“6.002x will be a classic in the field of online learning. It combines Prof. Agarwal's enthusiasm for electronics and education. The online circuit design program works very well. The material is difficult. I took the knowledge from the class and built an electronic cat feeder.” - Stan
Courses in this program
MITx's Circuits and Electronics XSeries Program
- 7–9 hours per week, for 5 weeks
Learn how to speed up digital circuits and build amplifiers in the design of microchips used in smartphones, self-driving cars, computers, and the Internet.
This is a series of 3 courses that are best taken in order.
Meet your instructors
Experts from MITx committed to teaching online learning
- Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.