What you will learn
- Understand what is needed to move from a fossil to a bio-based, circular economy, and learn how to influence critical elements in the transition.
- Apply, with insight, design thinking and its importance into bringing biotech innovations to industrial factories for commercialization.
- Grasp the essence of a bioprocess, with fermentation at its core where microorganisms perform efficient conversions, and flanking upstream and downstream operations to make up a full value chain.
- Form a deeper understanding of the fermentation process, review competing biological and physical processes alongside each other, and appreciate the specific requirements to successfully scale-up from the lab to the factory.
- Identify detailed simulation and evaluation of an integrated bioprocess in terms of economy and sustainability.
This program presents the essential knowledge required for producing (bio)chemical products for materials, nutrition and energy at industrial scale, from renewable and/or recycled feedstocks, using microorganisms. The design process and design thinking are at the core of this program to help learners with the application of biotech innovations to industrial factories for commercialization. This program examines the essence of a bioprocess, with fermentation at the center, where microorganisms perform efficient conversions, flanked by upstream and downstream operations to make up a full value chain.
You will apply design thinking, ‘beginning with the end in mind’ to understand what is important in your manufacturing process transformation and what are pitfalls. This will help you to circumvent or shortcut the ‘innovation valley of death’.
Courses in this program
DelftX's Industrial Biotechnology and Industrial Fermentation Professional Certificate
- 6–8 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Get introduced to the basics of designing industrial processes for biobased products, from renewable feedstock to biomaterials, chemicals, nutrition products and biofuels.
- 6–8 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Get introduced to the essentials of industrial fermentation processes, which convert renewable feedstocks into biomaterials, chemicals, nutrition products and biofuels with the help of microorganisms.
- A better understanding of what it takes to commercialize biotech innovations, enhancing the probability of success and overcoming the ‘innovation valley of death.’
- An enhanced ability to properly design an industrial biotech process, and in particular the industrial fermentation step at its core.
- A reinforced employability at the interface of industrial R&D and manufacturing.
- A wider career perspective spanning academic, industrial and advisory roles.
- The ability to contribute to better decision-making in your teams.
Meet your instructors from Delft University of Technology (DelftX)
Experts from DelftX committed to teaching online learning