What you will learn
- A fundamental understanding of sustainable development and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Interdisciplinary perspectives on the role of people (inequality, health, human rights), planet (planetary boundaries, renewable energy, sustainable consumption), and profit (economic growth, sustainable supply chains, the future of work).
- Tipping points: the big three boundaries of the planet.
- Global governance: how do we move forward as a planet for sustainability?
- Methods for measuring and understanding SDG progress at global, national, or local levels.
The “Master’s Pathway in Foundations of Sustainable Development” Professional Certificate is for learners who want to earn academic credit towards a Master’s degree.
Sustainable development is the most urgent challenge facing humanity. Its fundamental question is: How can the world economy continue to develop in a way that is socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable to face global challenges? A thriving global society relies on the stability of the Earth and its resilience across oceans, ecosystems, waterways, biodiversity, the atmosphere, and more. So, how do we shape sustainability at a global scale? And with the growing demand for “green skills” in jobs around the world, how can professionals drive sustainability in their industries?
The Master’s Pathway is a partnership between the SDG Academy and University College Dublin (UCD), one of Europe’s leading universities, to give learners a flexible, accredited pathway to further education in the field of sustainable development. Students who complete the Master’s Pathway on edX will be eligible to receive 10 credits towards UCD’s online Professional Diploma in Foundations of Sustainable Development.* Once they complete the Diploma, students can continue into UCD’s Master’s of Science (MSc.) in Sustainable Development —offsetting those academic credits and providing a pathway for learners with nontraditional academic backgrounds.
Delve into the foundations of sustainable development and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with world-renowned economist Jeffrey Sachs, environmental scientist Johan Rockström (one of TIME magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2023), and other global leaders in the field. For this graduate certificate, you will learn the tenets of sustainable development and how our societies can develop within the planet’s boundaries to prevent biodiversity loss, deforestation, desertification, and environmental degradation.
From learning the interactions between sustainable economic growth and environmental sustainability to understanding activities that drive climate change and the boundaries set by the planet’s natural resources, this sustainable development micro-credential will set you on a path to tackle challenges locally and globally.
*To apply the 10-credit edX Master’s Pathway Professional Certificate towards the UCD Professional Diploma, students must go through the UCD application process, which includes references and an English language requirement. See more information here.
Courses in this program
SDGAcademyX's Master’s Pathway in Foundations of Sustainable Development Professional Certificate
- 1–3 hours per week, for 5 weeks
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals are an ambitious global agenda for prosperity, people, and planet. But how do we know if we are on track to achieve the SDGs? Which Goals should different stakeholders prioritize? And what kind of data do we need to ensure that no one is left behind?
- The demand for green skills, including sustainable development, renewable energy, and environmental awareness in the job market, is rapidly increasingly (source: LinkedIn Green Economy Report 2022).
- The green hiring rate has accelerated ahead of the overall hiring rate in most economies around the world. This means that, globally, workers with green skills were hired at a higher rate than non-green workers (source: LinkedIn Green Economy Report 2022)
- Career prospects for people with sustainable development training include: sustainability manager, compliance manager, data scientist, software engineer, finance, climate-tech and many more (source: Business Insider).
Meet your instructors from SDG Academy (SDGAcademyX)
Experts from SDGAcademyX committed to teaching online learning