What you will learn
- Knowledge and application of MapReduce
- Understanding the rate of occurrences of events in big data
- How to design algorithms for stream processing and counting of frequent elements in Big Data
- Understand and design PageRank algorithms
- Understand underlying random walk algorithms
Organizations now have access to massive amounts of data and it’s influencing the way they operate. They are realizing in order to be successful they must leverage their data to make effective business decisions.
In this course, part of the Big Data MicroMasters program, you will learn how big data is driving organisational change and the key challenges organizations face when trying to analyse massive data sets.
You will learn fundamental techniques, such as data mining and stream processing. You will also learn how to design and implement PageRank algorithms using MapReduce, a programming paradigm that allows for massive scalability across hundreds or thousands of servers in a Hadoop cluster. You will learn how big data has improved web search and how online advertising systems work.
By the end of this course, you will have a better understanding of the various applications of big data methods in industry and research.
Before you start
- Instructor-Led: course contains assignments and exams that have specific due dates, and you complete the course within a defined time period.
- Course ends: Jan 22, 2019
Meet Your Instructors
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: Yes. The first course release started on May 15, 2017 and ends on December 1, 2018.
The new release of the course starts on December 1, 2018 and ends on December 1, 2020.
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.