About this courseSkip About this course
Build professional VR apps using Unity 3D, a powerful cross-platform 3D engine that provides a user-friendly development environment. In this course, part of the Virtual Reality Professional Certificate program, you will learn how to build a VR engine from the ground up, so you fully understand the entire rendering pipeline from 3D model to pixels in the VR display. We will also cover motion prediction, 3D stereo, lens distortion, time warp and other optimizations for a fluid, realistic VR experience.
You will also learn how to implement the most important VR interaction concepts such as selection, manipulation, travel, wayfinding, menus, and text input in Unity.
Unity is a GUI based programming environment, in which much of the programming can be done through dialog windows. It also supports scripts written in C#, which as we will show will allow for more complex VR functionality.
What you learn about VR programming in this course will help you write VR games, architectural walkthroughs, engineering simulations, 3D data viewers, medical training applications, and many more.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Develop professional VR apps using Unity 3D
- Run Unity 3D applications in VR on a smartphone
- Create a 3D environment from scratch in game engines
- Select and manipulate objects with various input types
- Move around a 3D world using unique locomotion methods
- Create intuitive 3D menus to control applications
- Design unique methods of 3D interaction
- Input alphanumeric information, such as text and numbers, in VR
- Build tools to help users navigate 3D environments
- Learn key usability goals and pitfalls for Virtual Reality
- Week 1: VR and Game Engines
- Week 2: Physics and Gaze Interaction
- Week 3: 3D UI and Locomotion
- Week 4: 3D User Interaction
- Week 5: Wayfinding and VR Input
- Week 6: Testing and Special Topics
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.