About this courseSkip About this course
The service mesh is an increasingly critical component of the cloud native ecosystem, with the Kubernetes ecosystem especially using service mesh projects to add reliability, security, and observability to applications.
In this course, students will learn the basics of the service mesh and the benefits that it provides, and gain concrete, hands-on skills using Linkerd, the open source, ultralight CNCF service mesh for Kubernetes. Students will walk away with practical knowledge of an important cloud native technology which can be applied directly to any cloud native environment.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
Describe what a service mesh is and contrast it to related technologies
Install a service mesh on Kubernetes using Linkerd
Use a service mesh to transparently add mutual TLS (mTLS), golden metrics, and blue-green deploys to any Kubernetes application
Understand the considerations when deploying a service mesh to production.
- Chapter 1. What Is a Service Mesh?
- Chapter 2. Linkerd and the Service Mesh Ecosystem
- Chapter 3. Linkerd Architecture
- Chapter 4. The Data Plane Starring Linkerd2-proxy
- Chapter 5. The Linkerd Control Plane
- Chapter 6. Deploying Linkerd to a Kubernetes Cluster
- Chapter 7. Getting "Golden Metrics" for Your Applications
- Chapter 8. Using Service Profiles for Per-Route Metrics
- Chapter 9. Retries and Timeouts
- Chapter 10. Securing your Application Communication with mTLS
- Chapter 11. Canary and Blue-Green Deployments
- Chapter 12. Using Linkerd in Production
- Chapter 13. Course Summary and Next Steps
- Final Exam
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally