UML Class Diagrams for Software Engineering
About this courseSkip About this course
Have you ever wondered how software architects, requirements engineers and business analysts sketch and draw out their plans for a software system?
In this computer science course, you will gain an in-depth understanding of Unified Modeling Language (UML) class diagrams, which are used to visually represent the conceptual design of a system. You will learn about UML class diagrams and how they are used to map out the structure of a business domain by showing business objects, their attributes, and associations.
Taught by an instructor with decades of experience in requirements engineering and domain modelling, this course will equip you with the skill of in-depth understanding of a UML class diagram and will enable you to judge the functional fit of a UML class diagram as blueprint for the development of an enterprise information system.
The Unified Modeling Language (UML) has become an in-demand skill in software development and engineering. In fact, some of today’s top jobs, i.e. business analysts, enterprise architects, but also developers, technical consultants and solutions architects, require UML knowledge. Enroll today and gain knowledge in an in-demand skill that will help set you apart from the competition.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- In-depth understanding of a UML class diagram
- Basics of domain modeling and its importance
- The basic building blocks of a class diagram: the concepts of "class", "attribute" and "association"
- Advanced concepts of "inheritance" and "AssociationClass"
Week 1: Introduction and UML Class Diagram Basics (part1)
Introduction as to what a data model is, why data modelling matters, and the concepts of modelling languages and notations. Introduction to the notions of "Class" and "Attribute."
Week 2: UML Class Diagram Basics (parts 2 and 3)
Introduction to the concept of "Association" and its different variants: "unary" and "ternary associations," and "aggregation." Learning to navigate a larger UML diagram.
Week 3: UML Class Diagrams Advanced Topics
Introduction to the concept of "inheritance" and learning to read a model with inheritance. Introduction to the concept of "AssociationClass" and learning to reify an association.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
Quotes from learners from previous runs:
• "I found this course extremely useful in learning different class diagram concepts. Thank you to the professor and people who helped to make this course a success."
• "I really liked the content of the course, as I did like the alternation between the theory videos and the quizzes!"
• "The videos were great and the quizzes helped assure I understood the material."