About this courseSkip About this course
Introduction to unconstrained nonlinear optimization, Newton’s algorithms and descent methods.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
The course is structured into 6 sections:
- Formulation: you will learn from simple examples how to formulate, transform and characterize an optimization problem.
- Objective function: you will review the mathematical properties of the objective function that are important in optimization.
- Optimality conditions: you will learn sufficient and necessary conditions for an optimal solution.
- Solving equations, Newton: this is a reminder about Newton's method to solve nonlinear equations.
- Newton's local method: you will see how to interpret and adapt Newton's method in the context of optimization.
- Descent methods: you will learn the family of descent methods, and its connection with Newton's method.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally