Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
U.S.-based and higher education-centered, this is a five-module, self-paced course that offers an inclusive teaching framework with multiple entry points for reflection and exploration of the research on learning and diversity. Anchored in the lived experiences of students and instructors, including your own, we invite you to explore strategies for inclusive course design, student-centered pedagogical practices, facilitating learning across difference, and change efforts that support student engagement, achievement, and belongingness. Come with a course of your own in mind, and design for inclusion as you make your way through Teaching & Learning in the Diverse Classroom.
You will explore:
- Your formative experiences as a learner, teacher, and member of a discipline
- Strategies and exercises helpful in communicating effectively, facilitating discussion, and modeling inclusivity when unexpected issues arise
- Research, frameworks, and models that help us understand why and how diversity and inclusion matter in teaching and learning
The research on MOOCs is clear that “taking the course with a friend” increases motivation to complete. We encourage you to reach out to a colleague or friend to invite them to take the course with you.
And, if you are planning to form a learning community to take the course as a cohort, request our facilitator's guide to help you plan.
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
If you complete the course, successfully, you will be able to:
- Use a framework for inclusive course design;
- Reflect on the implications of social identities—both students' and instructors'—within the teaching and learning environment;
- Identify evidence-based pedagogical strategies you would like to try;
- Increase your confidence to model inclusivity and facilitate discussion when unexpected issues arise; and
- Assess your curriculum and discipline to identify historical patterns of exclusion and inclusion and discipline-specific approaches to thinking about diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
Module 1: Instructors
Reflect on your social identities and lived experiences, and consider how these shape who you are as a teacher and your approach to the classroom or other learning environments.
Module 2: Students
Explore students’ social identities, what the research says about how social identity may become salient in the classroom, and selected, key strategies for supporting student learning, including ameliorating implicit bias and stereotype threat, and fostering a disability-inclusive learning environment.
Module 3: Pedagogy
Examine how to create and sustain an inclusive learning climate, with a focus on strategies useful in facilitating dialogue when unexpected challenges come up and how to prepare in advance for such moments.
Module 4: Curriculum
Evaluate your curriculum—what you teach—at both course and disciplinary levels, from a diversity perspective.
Module 5: Action and Change
Plan for future actions you may take to affect the broader context of inclusion in teaching and learning, when and how you want to make change from the individual (course), to institutional (college), to cultural (disciplinary, community) levels.
This course is meant to foster self-reflection and offer practical, course-based change strategies. These are complex issues that extend far beyond a single experience. Our intention, therefore, is to also lay a foundation helpful in continuing to learn beyond this course.
We are committed to full inclusion in education for all persons and welcome learner feedback. We acknowledge that social identity and issues of power and authority affect everyone, and, based on our identities, some of us are asked earlier and more often to navigate these dynamics as they act to mitigate our progress individually and collectively.
Conoce a tus instructores
Obtén un Certificado Verificado para destacar los conocimientos y las habilidades que adquieras$99 USD
Oficial y verificado
Obtén un certificado con la firma del instructor y el logotipo de la institución para demostrar tus logros y aumentar las posibilidades de conseguir trabajo
Fácil de compartir
Agrega el certificado a tu currículum o publícalo directamente en LinkedIn
El certificado te da un motivo más para completar el curso
Apoya nuestra labor
edX, una organización sin fines de lucro, se sustenta con los certificados verificados para financiar la educación gratuita para todo el mundo
Can I get financial assistance for the Verified Certificate fee?
Yes! Review this article for more information about how to apply: How do I apply for financial assistance?
What do I do to get a certificate?
You must do the following to get a Verified Certificate:
- Pay the Verified Certificate upgrade fee
- Verify your identity with a webcam and government-issued ID
- Answer the questions in the Verified Checkpoint pages
For more information about how the Verified Certificate works, review this edX article: What is a verified certificate?