BIM for Construction
About this courseSkip About this course
This course is the second of a sequence of interrelated courses on current computer applications in the construction industry. The emphasis of this course is the application of building information modeling (BIM) in construction.
The primary goal of this course is to:
- Cultivate students' knowledge and skills on the application of BIM and supplementary tools to construction tasks.
- Train students to effectively use BIM tools together with traditional scheduling and cost-estimating tools to assist construction management tasks.
A number of carefully crafted hands-on activities targeting construction problems will allow students to not only learn the fundamentals, but also master their applications in construction.
Additional tools required:
Autodesk also offers a free tool for viewing BIM models using Autodesk Viewer.
As this is a 5-week course and the free Navisworks and Project trials are 30 days, we suggest that you time the trial download correspondingly.
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Microsoft Project, Cost Estimation, Microsoft 365, Building Information Modeling, Autodesk, Navisworks (BIM Software), Project Management Software, Scheduling, Construction Management, Construction
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Explain the fundamental concepts of 4D and nD modeling, and clash and clash detection.
- Conduct clash detection to review and analyze BIM models.
- Create 4D, 5D, and nD models.
- Conduct quantity takeoff and estimate costs.
- Develop and analyze construction plans.
Week 1: Model Review, Clash Detection, and Model Coordination
- Introduction to Navisworks and File Formats
- Working with Multiple Files in Navisworks
- Model Review in Navisworks
- Clash Detection
Week 2: 4D, 5D, and nD Modeling
- Time and Cost in nD Modeling
- 4D Models in Navisworks
- Quantity Takeoff and 5D Animation
Week 3: Scheduling
- Construction Planning
- WBS 1 and 2
- WBS for Gas Station
- Activity Duration
- Sequencing Activities
- Critical Path Calculations
- Commercial Scheduling Tool
- Scheduling in MS Project
Week 4: Cost Estimating
- Define Estimating
- Estimating Methods I and II
- Cost Control
- Earned Value Method
- Assignment on Cost Estimating and Control
Week 5: BIM-Based Construction Planning
- BIM-Based Project Planning