What you will learn
- An understanding of the prominent perspectives, trends, and challenges of leadership styles in development.
- The ability to apply critical reasoning to the analysis of development-related issues.
- Critical knowledge of the science, practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development.
- Skills in adaptive development practice, in finding local solutions to complex problems, and for scaling those solutions to improve policy.
Are you working in the development sector and looking to take the next step in your career? International and community development aims to reduce poverty and improve the living standards, health and quality of life for those who need it most. As the challenges we face become more complex we need qualified and skilled professionals to lead across sectors and organizations.
Balancing theoretical knowledge with practical abilities, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program provides the strong technical and management skills you need to tackle the most demanding and complex challenges in global development. This program certificate will demonstrate that you have the advanced competencies that international development agencies are increasingly demanding from their leaders and managers.
After gaining a verified certificate for each of the four prerequisite courses you will be awarded the MicroMasters program certificate in Leadership in Global Development.
Build on this program certificate and apply to one of UQ’s on-campus Postgraduate Programs in Global Development. More information about this program, including the other entry requirements, is available via UQ.
Courses in this program
UQx's Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters® Program
- 10–12 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Gain the skills to be an adaptive leader in development & learn how to uncover local solutions to complex problems in developing and developed countries.
- 8–10 hours per week, for 11 weeks
Learn the critical foundations of sustainable development and how to achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals that are deeply interconnected in the field.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the MicroMasters program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Business Leadership courses and pass the Capstone Assessment course.
From Program Certificate to a Master Degree
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate may be eligible for credit into two of UQ’s Master’s programs:
Credential holders who meet program entry requirements for the Master of Business will receive one semester equivalent credit (8 units), reducing study time by 6 months (12-18 months of full-time study remaining for the Master of Business degree completion). You can continue your studies in Leadership, or choose one of our other specialisations: Advertising, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing, Organisational Sustainability, or Supply Chain Management.
Alternatively, credential holders who meet program entry requirements for the Masters Entrepreneurship and Innovation will receive one semester equivalent credit (8 units), reducing study time by 6 months. Students will need to complete the remaining 12 months of full-time study (16 units) on-campus. Students will learn to test new ideas, hone your creative problem-solving skills, and drive business growth in any organisation or industry. Students will be able to select from a range of courses from Biotechnology; Design and Information Technology; Food Entrepreneurship; Social and Community Entrepreneurship; and Sustainable Energy.
- Exciting career opportunities are available with multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, aid contractors, government departments, non-government organisations and mining and other private sector companies.
- Development industry representatives have expressed the need for professionals who have both the contextual knowledge and the leadership skills to manage increasingly complex problems.
- The demand for development professionals in the private sector is also increasing.
- This innovative and multidisciplinary credential will set you apart from an increasingly competitive job market.
Meet your instructors from The University of Queensland (UQx)
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
At ODI we aim to inform global policy and practice leading to poverty reduction and sustainable development. We believe the world needs leaders who can draw on practical experience and applied research to tackle effectively the complex challenges of national and local development. With its unique blend of development and management theory and practice, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters provides future leaders with the skills they need to act constructively in different development contexts and help to bring about lasting progress.
AECOM Pty Ltd.
I’m excited to see this innovative new credential; it fills an identified gap in the development education sphere and will positively contribute to the professionalisation of the industry. The high-quality suite of courses on offer are cutting-edge and highly relevant to current development challenges.
- To enrol in a postgraduate program at UQ, learners must apply and qualify for program entry. Successful completion of the MicroMasters program may offer a credit pathway in the Master of Business or Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program only. Find out more at: https://business.uq.edu.au/study or reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Existing UQ students are permitted up to 8 units (or four courses) credit based on the completed MicroMasters program for academic credit towards the Master of Business or Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program. Credit can only be granted to certain components of your program so it’s important to check before you commence your MicroMasters program. If you have any questions about applying for credit or your study plan, please reach out to our Business School Student Administration Team at email@example.com.