What you will learn
- Rhetorical knowledge: how to craft your writing professionally to meet the needs of varied audiences for specific purposes
- Critical thinking: how to make decisions about what to include and not include in your writing
- Writing process: how to use invention, research, drafting, revising, and editing in your writing
- Knowledge of conventions: how to use various formats and stylistic choices, including genre conventions, that are appropriate for the workplace
- Digital technology: how to use diverse technologies to write more effectively and efficiently
- Habits of mind: how to benefit from and cultivate curiosity, openness, engagement, creatively, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and reflection
No matter what industry you are currently working in or looking to enter, language and the ability to communicate effectively are critical skills. As our world has become more complex and globally connected, the need to think strategically and problem solve has also increased. But arriving at solutions and being able to implement them, no matter if it’s within your community or a global business, requires the ability to clearly communicate in written format for multiple stakeholders to understand.
In this two course professional writing MicroBachelors program from Arizona State University (ASU), you will develop the skills necessary to express ideas effectively and propose actionable solutions to problems that are understandable and relevant in a variety of professional occasions. Through project-based work, this online introductory-level writing program goes beyond typical college English creative writing courses to make it relevant for adults in the workforce. Starting by developing and expressing ideas effectively with different audiences in mind, you’ll work your way up to design, develop, research, and execute a writing project from inception to completion. By the end of the program, you’ll have developed writing skills that will allow you to clearly communicate business ideas and take on new challenges as you continue to progress your career.
Courses in this program
ASUx's Professional Writing MicroBachelors® Program
- Starts Jan 1, 202218–20 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn to develop and express your ideas effectively for a variety of personal and professional purposes, audiences, and occasions in this comprehensive introduction to English composition credit-eligible course.
- Started Aug 18, 202018–20 hours per week, for 8 weeks
Learn how to research, design, develop, and execute an action-oriented research project from inception to completion in this credit-eligible English composition course.
Program Certificate Requirement
In order to be eligible for credit and a program certificate, you must purchase, complete and pass with a 70% grade or higher in all Professional Writing program courses.
edX has partnered with Thomas Edison State University, a public university in New Jersey that specializes in adult education, to provide credit for MicroBachelors programs at no additional cost.
Please note, credit for this program is not provided by Arizona State University. This program is currently under credit review by Thomas Edison State University.
Check back here for an update on the credit review status for the Professional Writing program. Learn more about credit.
- This is an instructor-paced course, so you will not be able to work ahead.