What You Will Learn
- How to design algorithms
- Understand fundamental programming concepts including data abstraction, storage and structures
- Understand computational thinking which includes decomposition, pattern recognition and abstraction
- Data-driven problem and algorithm design for big data
- Interpretation of data representation and analysis
- Understand key mathematical concepts, including dimension reduction and Bayesian models
- How to use analytical tools such as R and Java
Courses in this Program
Big data is changing the way businesses operate. Driven by a new scale of data collection that provides massive levels of information, businesses are now able to analyse and gather data insights to make better-informed decisions.
Data scientists and business analysts are in high-demand as companies look to use data to improve their business operations.
In this Big Data MicroMasters program, you will learn tools and analytical methods to use data for decision-making, collect and organise data at scale, and gain an understanding of how data analysis can help to inform change within organisations.
You’ll develop both the technical and computational skills that are in high demand across a range of industries. You’ll develop critical skills in programming for data science, computational thinking, algorithm design, big data fundamentals, and data-driven analysis, with plenty of opportunities to apply and explore your new learnings through a range of case studies.
Click here to view the program syllabus, including the start and end dates for all the course releases.
- A McKinsey Global Institute study states that by 2018, the US will be facing a shortage of about 190,000 data scientists and 1.5 million managers and analysts who can understand and make decisions using Big Data. (Source: edureka!)
- A report by Glassdoor shows that the median salary for a Data Scientist is US$116,000. (Source: www.glassdoor.com)
- The average salaries for jobs with titles related to Big Data are Big Data Scientist, US$123,000, Lead Data Scientist, US$108,000, Data Scientist and Principal Data Scientist US$102,000. (Source: edureka!)
- Career prospects for people with data science skills and training include data scientist, data engineer, data architect, data administrator, data analyst, business analyst, data or analytics manager and business intelligence manager. (Source: edureka!)
"The chief economist of Google, Hal Varian, predicted in 2009 that the sexiest job over the next decade would be data scientists. We believe this prediction has come true. Not only has the amount of data captured continued to increase exponentially, so too has the reliance on the analysis of this data by large businesses to optimise their operations. At present the demand for talented data scientists is greater than the supply, and this demand is growing very quickly. The University of Adelaide's Big Data MicroMasters program plans to help meet this growing demand by enabling students to build deep skills and expertise in working with data."
"Tech Mahindra is guaranteeing interviews at its India locations for edX learners who successfully complete this MicroMasters program and meet other hiring criteria. Today’s disruptive business landscape demands for our talents to be future ready and it is our prime responsibility that the right tools and innovative pathways are facilitated for them... We are excited to work together with edX because careers will be facilitated with a blended learning environment, as well as this gives us the opportunity to bring in new ideas to the table and enhance our customer’s experiences."
How To Earn The MicroMasters Program Certificate
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 4 Big Data courses plus the Capstone Project course.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
The Big Data MicroMasters program from AdelaideX provides a graduate-level foundation in data science.
Learners who successfully complete the Big Data MicroMasters program and successfully gain admission to the Master of Data Science at the University of Adelaide will be granted 12 units of credit towards the Master’s program. The Big Data MicroMasters program certificate represents 25% of the Master of Data Science program, which requires 48 units of coursework to complete.
Who can take this program?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. EdX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.