What you will learn
- Write effective emails, letters, memos, reports.
- Identify grammatical and punctuation problems in your writing.
- Analyze a writing situation and determine the appropriate communication strategy, format, style, and content.
- Organize information and ideas logically, efficiently, and effectively.
Whether you are writing an email to your boss or a letter to the editor, being able to craft your argument clearly and persuasively is essential. Employers today are looking for professionals who can clearly communicate messages across multiple channels.
This Professional Certificate program will build your confidence as you learn how to improve your writing organization, logic, and style to get your point across eloquently and quickly. You will delve into the details of the writing process and learn how to identify an audience, choose the best structure, and revise and edit early drafts of your work.
You will then focus on effective business writing for emails, letters, memos, short reports and more. Lastly, you will learn how to craft clear, concise messages for specific content and audiences on social media.
This program will arm you with the in-demand skills needed for all professionals.
Courses in this program
BerkeleyX's Business Writing Professional Certificate
- Starts Mar 15, 20203–5 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Learn best practices and approaches to writing effective business letters, emails, and reports. Format, composition, and clarity are emphasized.
- Starts Apr 26, 20203–5 hours per week, for 4 weeks
This course provides a framework for writing for social media by focusing on purpose, content and audiences, helping you be more effective at using these powerful platforms to deliver your messages.
How To Earn The Professional Certificate
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 3 of the Business Writing courses.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Completing the edX Professional Certificate in Business Writing and earning your Professional Certificate program credential gives you an Advanced Standing in UC Berkeley Extension’s Specialized Program in Professional Writing. Stand out in your company as an effective and persuasive communicator by learning the latest concepts and techniques. Learn more about UC Berkeley Extension’s Advanced Standing in the Specialized Program in Professional Writing.
- Soft skills, such as writing and communication, are scarce and in demand across nearly every occupation, even in technical fields. (Source: Burning Glass Technologies, The Human Factor, 2015).
- Employers face a big challenge in filling the gap for these soft skills, leading to many opportunities for growth and advancement in companies.
Meet your instructors
UC Berkeley Extension's Business Writing Professional Certificate program provides students with the critical skill set necessary to execute writing tasks with speed and confidence. Students study and practice the building blocks of the writing process - from information gathering and organization to writing and refining the final draft - for a range of business writing projects, be it a memo, report, executive summary, or promotional copy. Professionals hoping to improve both their writing skills and their ability to convey their message eloquently and quickly will benefit from this compact sequence.