What you will learn
- Master the concept and vision of the circular economy.
- Opportunities of designing with renewable, bio-based materials.
- Best practices through case studies with industry frontrunners.
- How circular design principles can be applied to create 'closed loop' packaging systems.
- Understand how businesses can create value by applying the CE principles.
Large amounts of packaging materials turn into waste and escape formal collection and recycling systems. It eventually end up polluting the environment having a huge environmental impact. Moreover, their material value is forever lost to the economy. How can we improve packaging systems in order to capture this wasted potential?
This 2-course program will help industrial design engineers to rethink packaging design, recover, and reuse.
In the first course, you will explore the basic concepts of the circular economy and their implementation from various perspectives: how businesses can create value by reusing and recycling products; how designers can come up with amazingly clever solutions; and how to apply systems thinking to the transition to the circular economy.
In the second course, you will learn about the design of sustainable packaging systems. You will explore the design and business strategies of the circular economy and how this can be applied to packaging.
If you are looking for ways to upskill yourself and become a designer who not only creates great designs but contributes to the environment through rethinking the packaging of your product – this is the program for you!
Courses in this program
DelftX's Sustainable Packaging Professional Certificate
- 3–6 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Ready to make a difference? Learn how to contribute to a sustainable economic system by implementing novel business and design approaches!
- 3–4 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Learn how to apply the principles of the circular economy to sustainable packaging systems.
- More and more businesses are using circular-economy principles to create products that are durable, easy to reuse or recycle—and profitable (McKinsey, 2016).
- Job opportunities include various design roles with emphasis on sustainability, innovation management, product lifecycle assessment and sustainability consultants.
- Estimated annual salary of senior industrial designers amounts to $79,262 per year. (indeed.com)
Meet your instructors from Delft University of Technology (DelftX)
Experts from DelftX committed to teaching online learning