What you will learn
- Develop key technical knowledge and up-to-date skills in preparation for a rewarding career in IT and technical support.
- Demonstrate in-demand hardware and software skills that help users select, install, and configure their devices, operating systems, and applications.
- Build essential computer networking, cybersecurity, and cloud computing skills that IT Support and Helpdesk specialists need to be successful.
- Practice customer service and troubleshooting skills through hands-on labs, demos, and interactive exercises to become job-ready.
Now is a great time to launch a rewarding career in Information Technology (IT) support - no experience or degree is required to get started. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts a 9% growth in jobs through 2030, averaging 70,000 openings each year, and a medium salary of $58,000 annually for an entry-level Computer Support Specialist. With over 400,000 US job openings, Computer Tech Support Specialists are in high demand.
In this self-paced, certificate program for beginners, you will learn IT support and build competency in IT fundamentals topics, including hardware, operating systems, software, system administration, programming, databases, networking, cybersecurity, and cloud computing, as well as critical skills covered such as customer service and troubleshooting. Mastery of these skills is essential for IT Helpdesk Support and also provides multiple options to grow your career as they are required skills for many technology jobs, including Software Engineer, Data Analyst, and Data Scientist.
This Professional Certificate program from IBM is built by experts to prepare you for an entry-level job in Technical Support. If you can dedicate a few hours per week, you can complete the program in 3 to 6 months. By the end of the program, you will be equipped with job-ready skills employers look for, whether you are just starting out your IT career or changing jobs.
When you successfully complete the program you’ll receive dual credentials, IBM Digital Badges for each course to help your profile stand out, as well as a Professional Certificate to showcase your job readiness to potential employers.
Courses in this program
IBM's Information Technology (IT) Support PC Professional Certificate
- 9–12 hours per week, for 5 weeks
Gain the daily work skills and knowledge you’ll need for IT Technical Support career success. This course, part of the IBM Technical Support Professional Certificate, is designed for beginners with no prior IT experience or formal degree.
- 9–11 hours per week, for 6 weeks
This course will help you develop the skills to install and set up an operating system and gain expertise on hardware components, including motherboard, CPU, hard drives and more.
- 7–10 hours per week, for 5 weeks
This course introduces the fundamentals of software, programming languages, web browsers, cloud computing and database concepts.
- 4–6 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Become proficient in the fundamentals of computer networking and storage and gain the skills to diagnose, repair and maintain computer networks and storage.
- 3–5 hours per week, for 4 weeks
This course is designed for beginners to build critical skills to address common security threats, and adopt best practices for reducing risks.
- 2–4 hours per week, for 3 weeks
Master the core concepts in Cloud Computing, from service and deployment models, to cloud architecture, security, new technologies, and possible careers.
- 6–8 hours per week, for 6 weeks
This Capstone course provides a series of case studies for demonstrating skills to perform in a Technical Support role. It also includes a practice exam to help you prepare for the CompTIA IT Fundamentals (ITF+) Certification Exam.
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts a 9% growth in jobs through 2030, averaging 70,000 openings each year, and a medium salary of $58,000 annually for an entry-level Computer Support Specialist.
- According to Indeeed.com in August 2022, the average salary for tech support professionals in the United States was $51,668 per year. Indeed.com Technical Support Salaries, August 17, 2022, https://www.indeed.com/career/technical-support/salaries)
Meet your instructors from IBM
Experts from IBM committed to teaching online learning