What you will learn
- Anatomy of a multicore-based computer.
- How programs execute on a microprocessor level.
- Models to analyze program execution in terms of energy efficiency and performance.
- Advanced design concepts in modern multicore-based computers, including processors and memory hierarchies.
Give your career a boost by mastering the advanced concepts underpinning the design of multicore-based computers. This professional certificate program covers design principles governing modern microprocessors, such as pipelining, cache memories, parallelism, prefetching, and cache coherency. Applying these concepts is critical when developing competitive computerized products. Take, for instance, a smartphone with limited battery capacity. Improved functionality can lead to significantly shorter operation time between battery charges, thus utilizing the already limited resources of a smartphone far more efficiently.
The target audience for this program is practicing software and hardware engineers in need of a deep understanding of performance engineering. This program is also well suited for students who want to specialize in computer engineering and get a deep understanding of the working of modern computers.
This program is derived from both undergraduate and advanced graduate courses in computer system design. It starts on a basic level and then gradually introduces more advanced concepts. The program offers a unique opportunity to learn about computer systems on a machine and assembly language level.
The courses are given by Per Stenström, a world-renowned research leader in computer architecture. He is a Fellow of ACM and IEEE and member of three academies (Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Science, The European Academy, and the Royal Spanish Academy of Engineering Science). He has co-authored around 200 publications and 20 patents and has co-founded a few high-tech startup companies.
By the end of this program, you will have a deep understanding in the design of future multicore-based computers and the impact on energy efficiency and program execution time.
Courses in this program
ChalmersX's Computer System Design: Concepts of Modern Microprocessors Professional Certificate
- Participants will acquire knowledge that is in high demand when designing computerized embedded products.
- With trends towards IoT (Internet of Things), autonomous systems and mobile computers, such a skillset will be critical in a career in systems engineering.
Meet your instructor from Chalmers University of Technology (ChalmersX)
Experts from ChalmersX committed to teaching online learning