What you will learn
- The history of Cybersecurity; types and motives of cyber attacks to further your knowledge of current threats to organizations and individuals; key terminology, basic system concepts and tools as an introduction to the Cybersecurity field.
- Key cybersecurity roles in an organization, processes and examples of each process, describe the architecture, file systems, and basic commands for multiple operating systems including Windows, Mac/OS, Linux; and understand the concept of Virtualization.
- The background needed to understand the key cybersecurity compliance and industry standards. This knowledge will be important for you to learn no matter what cybersecurity role you would like to acquire or have within an organization.
- The basic commands for user and server administration as it relates to security. You will need this skill to be able to understand vulnerabilities within your organizations operating systems.
- The concepts of endpoint security and patch management and finally you will learn in depth skills around cryptography and encryption to understand how these concepts affect software within a company.
There are a growing number of exciting, well-paying jobs in today’s security industry that do not require a traditional college degree.
Throughout this professional certificate program, you will learn concepts around cybersecurity tools and processes, system administration, operating system and the basics of security compliance and industry standards.
The instructors are IBMers with a worldwide perspective. They will share the skills they need to secure IBM and its clients’ security systems.
Courses in this program
IBM's IBM Cybersecurity Fundamentals Professional Certificate
- 4–8 hours per week, for 4 weeks
This course gives you the background needed to understand the basics of Cybersecurity. You will explore information security from its history to a description of various cybercriminals and cybersecurity threats concluding with the tools needed to prevent an attack.
- 2–4 hours per week, for 7 weeks
This course gives you the background needed to understand basic Cybersecurity around people. process and technology.
- 3–4 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Build the background needed to understand key cybersecurity compliance and industry standards. The knowledge gained in this course is critical for any cybersecurity role you would like to acquire or grow into within an organization. You will also learn about how to secure your systems through an understanding of basic server administration concepts.
- 3–4 hours per week, for 4 weeks
Build a background needed to understand basic network security and learn how to safeguard your organization from cybersecurity attacks. In addition to network security, you will learn about different types of data including personal sensitive data and safeguarding your organization from a data breach.
- The 2019 (ISC)² Cybersecurity Workforce Study points to a severe shortage of cybersecurity professionals. It estimates that 4 million more cybersecurity professionals are needed to defend organizations.
- CyberSeek.org, ranks Cybersecurity Analyst as second on a list of high demand job roles in low supply.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects 32% hiring growth for Cybersecurity Analysts between 2018 and 2028, outpacing other roles.
Meet your instructor from IBM
Experts from IBM committed to teaching online learning