About this courseSkip About this course
This course explores the mix of approaches that can create a pro-renewables environment. It explores this from a policy, regulatory and supply-chain perspective and examines the incentives and rules available. Key policies are brought to life through case studies, learning from both success and failure.
Key messages of the course include:
- Ambitions for renewable electricity must be grounded in technical and financial feasibility
- Pro-renewables environments recognise the needs of energy supply chain actors (e.g. project developers, utilities, regulators, electricity customers) and balances pricing, fiscal and financial and wider policies to incentivise and drive deployment
- There are multiple ways to encourage deployment of renewables across different scales – these have strengths and weaknesses and must balance rate of deployment, affordability and efficiency of generation
- Incentives and rules are a package and can be aligned to deliver affordable, efficient renewable electricity - several real-world examples demonstrate this
- Different countries have succeeded and failed in creating pro-renewables environments – demonstrating that while lessons can be used from these experiences, there is no single route to success and the environment must be bespoke to the circumstances of the country.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Understand how policy and regulation can create a pro-renewables environment
- Analyse different regulatory and non-regulatory mechanisms and approaches for incentivising renewables deployment
- Evaluate the drivers for businesses in the renewable electricity supply chain and how this relates to the policy and regulatory environment
- Explore through case studies how pro-renewables policy and regulatory environment has been implemented
Module 2: Pro-renewables supply chain – who are the actors and what do they want?
Module 3: Pro-renewables power sector regulatory and pricing policies
Module 4: Non-regulatory pro-renewables policies and approaches
Module 5: Pulling it all together
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally