Earn an XSeries Certificate from one of the top institutions in the world
Some schools offer an XSeries Certificate when you complete and pass a series of courses in a specific subject. Earning an XSeries Certificate is a true achievement. It demonstrates a level of achievement that you can use to advance your career or simply impress yourself. The requirements vary for each institution, but generally you must take and receive a Verified Certificate of Achievement in each course as outlined by the school. Review the current list of active XSeries options below or read the XSeries FAQs.
The Aerodynamics XSeries takes students from the fundamentals of fluid mechanics to their application in aerodynamics. Students gain a conceptual understanding of critical fluid dynamic phenomena from boundary layers to shock waves, and develop a firm foundation in the aerodynamic methods used to analyze and design modern aircraft. The concepts learned are relevant to other areas including wind turbines, hydrodynamics, and even bird flight. The XSeries is appropriate for students with a solid background in mechanics, vector calculus, and differential equations.
This XSeries consists of 2 courses:
- 16.101x Introduction to Aerodynamics | Q4 2013 ($100 - Wavied for Q4 2013 students)
- 16.110x Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics | Q2 2014 ($100)
Cost for this program also includes a $75 program fee, due at issuance of the final XSeries certificate. Total cost for the complete program is $275.00 ($175 for students starting in Fall 2013). Please note that component courses for this XSeries may be taken individually.
Foundations of Computer Science
The Foundations of Computer Science XSeries, offered by the M.I.T. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, is a sequence of courses that introduce key concepts of computer science and computational thinking. Students apply these concepts and build their engineering skills by completing software and hardware design problems. Additionally, students test their understanding by taking a series of exams.
This XSeries consists of 7 courses:
- 6.00.1x Introduction to Computer Science and Programming in Python | Q4 2013, Q2 2014 ($50 - Waived for Fall 2013 students)
- 6.00.2x Introduction to Computational Thinking and Data Science | Q2 2014 ($50)
- 6.00.3x Software Construction in Java 1 | Q4 2014 ($50)
- 6.00.4x Software Construction in Java 2 | Q2 2015 ($50)
- 6.00.5x Computation Structures: Digital Circuits | Q4 2014 ($50)
- 6.00.6x Computation Structures: Programmable Architectures | Q2 2015 ($50)
- 6.00.7x Computation Structures: Computer Systems Organization | Q4 2015 ($50)
Cost for this program also includes a $75 program fee, due at issuance of the final XSeries certificate. Total cost for the complete program is $425.00 ($375 for students starting in Fall 2013). Please note that component courses for this XSeries may be taken individually. Students who have successfully completed 6.00x prior to Fall 2013 may use the course to replace 6.00.1x and 6.00.2x without cost.
Supply Chain Management
This XSeries consists of three courses that enable students to learn and practice the art and science of supply chain management. The component courses build from fundamental concepts to advanced design and finally to strategic decision making. It is ideal preparation for anyone interested in succeeding in a career in logistics, operations, or supply chain management within any large global firm or organization.
This XSeries consists of 3 courses:
- ESD.SCM1x - Supply Chain and Logistics Fundamentals | Q4 2014 ($100)
- ESD.SCM2x - Design of Supply Chain Systems | Q2 2015 ($100)
- ESD.SCM3x - Supply Chain Strategy | Q3 2015 ($100)
Cost for this program also includes a $75 program fee, due at issuance of the final XSeries certificate. Total cost for the complete program is $375.00. Please note that component courses for this XSeries may be taken individually. Enrollment opens March 2014.