About this courseSkip About this course
The essential building blocks of application development include accessing, processing, and presenting data. With vast amounts of data stored in various databases, on the cloud or on-premises, developers will use a language like SQL.
This course introduces you to the basics of SQL, a simple and powerful programming language for querying and managing data, and the fundamentals of cloud databases. You will discover Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and how to use Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) languages to work with databases.
You will be introduced to Django, a fast and simple open source web framework used by developers to simplify their work. You will learn how Django models, views and templates work together to present data on a website and will use Django’s powerful admin site functionality to manage site content. And you will discover Bootstrap, a free and open-source web front-end framework.
As a final project, you will gain hands-on practical experience developing and deploying a full-stack Django web application on the cloud.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
•Describe a database and how to model data.
•Compose SQL queries to insert, select, update, and delete data in a database.
•Understand Object Relational Model (ORM).
•Integrate Bootstrap into your Django template and build interactive web pages.
•Employ Django to develop database-powered applications.
•Create and deploy your Django app on the cloud.
Module 1: Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Databases and Database Management Systems
- Relational Databases
- Relational Data Concepts
- Hands-on Lab: Entity-Relationship Data Modeling
- SELECT Statement
- Hands-on Lab: Simple SELECT Statements
- COUNT, DISTINCT, LIMIT
- INSERT Statement
- UPDATE and DELETE Statements
- Hands-on Lab: INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE
- Basic SQL Statements Summary
Module 2: ORM: Bridging the Gap between the Real World and Relational Model
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM)
- Django Model
- Hands-on Lab: Create a Django project in Theia
- Optional Lab: Create a Standalone Django ORM Project Template
- Django CRUD
- Hands-on Lab:CRUD on Django Model Objects
- Related Objects
- Hands-on Lab: Query Spanning Relationships
Module 3: Full-stack Django Development
- Django Model-View-Template pattern
- Quiz: MVC and Django MVT pattern
- Create a Django app
- Hands-on Lab: Create your first Django App
- Django Admin Site
- Hands-on Lab: Django Admin
- Django Views
- Django Templates
- Hands-on Lab: Views and Templates
Module 4: Consolidate and Deploy Your Django App
- Class-based and Generic Class Views
- Hands-on Lab: Class-based and Generic Views
- Django Authentication System
- Hands-on Lab: User Signup and Signin
- Bootstrap integration
- Hands-on Lab: Bootstrap Integration
- Manage Static Files
- Deploy your Django App on IBM Cloud
- Hands-on Lab: Deploy your Django app on IBM Cloud Foundry
Final Exam and Project: Enhance Online Course App with New Features ****
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$49 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Who can take this course?
Unfortunately, learners from one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this course: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this course in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.