About this courseSkip About this course
To prepare you for this course, we recommend completing the free 3-hour introductory MOOC Re-Imagine Work - Strategies During COVID-19 and Beyond.
In this course, you will gain a foundational understanding of human-centered design tools, and apply lessons learned to improve your work with others at a distance. Learn how HCD principles can be applied to multiple aspects of working at a distance, and can be used to help decipher complex organizational challenges.
Each module features conversations with experts and/or novices who are seeking to adjust and re-invent their work at home. Examine conversations as a case study, gain key takeaways, and learn to adapt and apply these strategies to your own distributed work situation. You will be taught how to exercise visual thinking and produce visual maps to help frame the specific challenges you are facing.
At the conclusion of the course, verified learners will apply teachings to prototype a solution for a real-life case study.
This course is taught by a UBC professor who has helped over 50 clients from a range of industries decipher “wicked” problems and create scalable MVP’s (minimum viable prototypes).
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Understand the foundational components of human-centered design and how these may be applied to identify problems, generate ideas and propose solutions.
- Use human-centered design tools to tackle distributed work challenges, improve your work with others, and better understand client, colleague and customer needs
- Apply visual thinking to generate solutions for working-at-a-distance with others.
Week 1: Introduction to the human-centered design process and strategies for managing wellness while working with others at a distance. Guest speaker case study: Brent Steven, Physiotherapist.
Week 2: Managing team well-being and improving culture in remote teams. Guest speaker case study: Dr. Kimberly Voll and Andy Moore Game Designers.
Week 3: Deepening your understanding of the needs of colleagues, clients and customers. Guest speaker case study: Kirsten Wicklund Ballet dancer and yoga teacher.
- Prototyping and user-testing your at-a-distance communication technologies. Guest speaker case study: Alana-Thorburn Watt- Photographer/Videographer.
- Culminating capstone assignment: Applying human-centered tools to prototype a solution for a real-world case study of someone struggling to transform how they work with others from a distance. Guest case study: Leonard Vogt- Interior Designer.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$169 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally