About this courseSkip About this course
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Research-informed, design-oriented approach to teaching with technology and inquiry
- Knowledge of important themes in lesson design, enactment, and student learning
- Identify affordances of various technologies for teaching/learning
In Week 0 we get to know each other and learn about the course.
Week 1: Inquiry and student-centred pedagogy
- We review dominant inquiry frameworks and examine general themes in technology integration in teaching and learning. We follow the process of a technology-integrated inquiry-based science lesson design.
Week 2: Designing Activities and Assessments
- We examine opportunities and challenges in designing technology integration in teaching and learning. A physics teacher reflects on assessment design in relation to the learning outcomes of a technology-integrated inquiry lesson.
Week 3: Collaborative learning
- Research and practice show barriers to engaging students in collaborative learning activities. We review challenges of designing for collaboration and examine design approaches to promote student engagement. A visual arts teacher explains his online collaborative critique lesson design
Week 4: Handheld/mobile devices
- We review various forms of handheld devices and examine where in lesson design and implementation can these devices be integrated. A biology teacher reflects on the design and implementation of a lesson that uses a mobile app.
Week 5: Knowledge co-constriction
- We examine design factors in promoting student-contributed knowledge. A math teacher and researcher share their collaborative experience in designing a statistics lesson that emphasizes knowledge co-construction.
Week 6: Inquiry Enactment
- We discuss challenges of classroom management and student engagement in technology enhanced/integrated learning and examine strategies to overcome such challenges. Teachers who shared their lesson design reflect on challenges they faced and decisions they made accordingly.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$50 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally