- 30 Credit Hours
- Fully Online
- 1-4 years
*GRE scores are not required to apply to the program
Mechanical engineers create mechanical systems from automotive to building components to space ships. The specialization allows engineers to innovate and advance machines and control systems within the field of biomechanics, computers and electronics, aerospace, and a variety of other engineering disciplines.
The Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering will allow you to gain a world-class professional degree from Purdue University entirely online with support from Purdue’s faculty. Purdue’s School of Mechanical Engineering is currently ranked #9 and its online graduate program is ranked #1 in the country by US News and World Report.
This mechanical engineering program is designed for experienced professionals and for those beginning their career goals. With 100% online courses, you will be able to balance your full-time job with your studies. Create your own schedule to complete this 30 credit online master's degree in as few as 12 months or up to 4 years.
The online program offers coursework in a wide variety of topics in the Mechanical Engineering field, including:
- Computational Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Dynamics
- Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics
- HVAC & Refrigeration
- Manufacturing & Materials
- Mechanics & Vibration
- Solid Mechanics
- Systems, Measurement & Controls
- #1Best Online Master's in Mechanical Engineering ProgramsU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #3Best Online Graduate Engineering ProgramsU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #7Best Engineering SchoolsU.S. News & World Report, 2021
- #9Best Mechanical Engineering SchoolU.S. News & World Report, 2021
Financial Aid is available. All federal Financial aid benefits and restrictions apply to enrolled MSME students.
Important dates & deadlines
Preferred undergraduate background in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or related field.
A full Master’s program application includes the following:
- An undergraduate Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Transcripts from all universities attended
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Resume
- 3 Letters of Professional Recommendation
- TOEFL: Required for International Students Only
*If you didn’t waive your right to review recommendation letters and would like to have a copy of them, you can send your request to the grad school via firstname.lastname@example.org after admission decision has been released.
- The GRE is not required for this online MSME program.
- The Center for Career Opportunities provides career services for our students.
- Financial Aid is available. All federal financial aid benefits and restrictions apply to enrolled MS Mechanical Engineering students. Federal aid enrollment requirements apply.
- No. This program is a course-based self-funded Master’s program.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Yes, the degree is the same. Online students take the same mechanical engineering courses and evaluations as their on-campus counterparts in the department of mechanical engineering and the program receives the same accreditation.
- We recruit students from engineering and science majors. Related fields such as Aerospace Engineering, Agriculture and Biological Engineering, Computer Science, Math, and Physics provide the technical skills to pursue an advanced mechanical engineering degree.
- For students that do not have a Mechanical Engineering bachelor's degree or background, there are no specific prerequisite courses required to be admitted to the online MSME program. Admissions decisions are based on careful review of the individual student's application package.
- You will be asked to provide your recommenders’ email while filling out online application. Your recommenders will upload letters separately. You can submit your application before recommendation letters have been received.
- Yes, please upload a copy of your official transcripts to your application. E-transcripts can be sent to the Graduate School at email@example.com. Official transcripts shall come from the Registrar’s Office, not downloaded online.
- If you are admitted, please send official transcripts in a sealed envelope to the Graduate School: Graduate School: Grad Admissions, Purdue Graduate School 155 S. Grant St, YONG 170 West Lafayette, IN 47907 E-transcripts can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- No, but you can upload extra documents to your application as miscellaneous supporting documents.
- Typically, we will let you know within 2 weeks.
- Please respond to your admission within one week after you received admission notice.
- No. You just need to pay tuition.
- Yes, if you can find a faculty advisor.
- 2 grad level courses scored B or better can be transferred to count as technical electives.