About this course
Tangibility is being replaced by virtuality. Social media supplants the water cooler. MOOCs challenge the classroom.
This course is a colorful mélange of ideas, debates, inventions and stories of the visionaries and entrepreneurs who've created-- and critiqued -- the digital world – as we know it today.
This is an introductory survey course. It fits into early, foundational learning in various disciplines, such as Social Science; Arts & Culture; Business & Management; Communication; Computer Science; Education; Humanities; Law, and the informal studies of lifelong learners. No previous knowledge is required.
However, life in the 21st century is assumed.
What you'll learn
- Master the concepts underlying digital and networked realities.
- Understand and intelligently discuss and predict digital life.
- Gain familiarity with leading thinkers and their thoughts in the field.
- Use digital and collaborative tools in this quest.
- Create collaborative concept maps of the information age.
- Based on your newly gained knowledge, form your own opinions about whether and how much Privacy, Center, Distance, Time and Death, the Book and the Classroom are dying.
- Answer the question, is the Net fulfilling its promise?
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $49.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally