About this course
This Preceptor Development Program is designed to prepare registered nurses to construct high quality, rich, and effective learning experiences. Staff RNs who participate in preceptor development programs report more confidence and satisfaction in the preceptor role. This effect translates to the student’s learning as well. Students who have well prepared clinical preceptors describe effective and valued learning experiences.
Topic areas covered in these modules include:
1. Preceptor roles and responsibilities
2. Assessing learner needs and learning styles
3. Clinical teaching
4. Critical thinking and clinical decision making
5. Legal issues in preceptorships
6. Communication and conflict resolution
7. Managing learning experiences of culturally and generationally diverse students
What you'll learn
- Discuss preceptor roles and responsibilities.
- Identify methods to assess learner needs and styles
- Design effective clinical teaching and clinical learning experiences.
- Facilitate students’ critical thinking and clinical decision making
- Discuss legal issues applicable to precepting student nurses
- Apply principles of effective communication and conflict resolution to the clinical learning experience.
- Apply principles of diversity and inclusivity in the role of clinical preceptor
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain $199.00
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
EdX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
The University of Maryland School of Nursing is an accredited provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.