About this courseSkip About this course
Project teams usually spend a large portion of their time solving problems instead of preventing them. Project risk management seeks to preemptively manage positive and negative events that may affect a project so as to improve its chance of success.
What will you be able to do by the end of the course?
- Identify risks in scenarios of uncertainty
- Determine who can help you
- Understand how to manage risks in settings with limited resources
- Develop risk response strategies
- Monitor and update risks throughout the life of the project
Who is this course for?
- Project managers or supervisors
- Project team members
- Funders and financiers
- Public officials from national, subnational, and municipal entities
- Professionals from different fields who help develop and execute projects
- Professionals Interested in risk management in development projects
By taking this course you will have the opportunity to share your knowledge and experience with other participants. There will be a case study through which you will be able to apply best risk-management practices to a project and you will also carry out practical exercises that will help you understand key concepts.
Course content is based on the Inter-American Development Bank’s risk management methodology, which is aligned with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, Sixth Edition, 2017, of the Project Management Institute (PMI)®.
This course is "self-paced" so you can enroll at any time, even if the course has been open for a while. You can take it at the time that is most suitable for you inside the enrolment period of the course.
If you opt for the Audit track, you could complete the course free and have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed.
If you opt for the Verified track , you can access the course in an unlimited way and complete the qualified evaluations until the closing date, (Jan 28th, 2022), after making a payment of $25 . If you pass, in addition to the verified certificate, you will obtain a digital badge *that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
*Did you know there is a financial aid to opt for the verified certificate?
1. edX financial help: edX offers financial assistance for learners who want to earn Verified Certificates but who may not be able to pay the Verified Certificate fee. Subscribe to the course and apply for financial assistance.
See more information in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Identify the main stages involved in preparing a risk management plan for development projects following the IDB’s methodology, which is based on PMI’s international standards, to successfully achieve expected results and impacts.
- Recognize the process of identifying risks that may affect the project and documenting their characteristics to facilitate risk analysis and subsequent management.
- Recognize the main elements of the risk analysis process and evaluating and combining risks’ probability of occurrence and impact to prioritize them.
- Recognize risk management strategies that allow for managing opportunities and threats that could impact the project’s objectives.
- Recognize the main elements of the risk monitoring process and continuously optimizing responses to improve efficiency when managing the project life cycle.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$25 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Discover in this map some participant’s testimonies of our program.
Frequently asked questions
What does “AUDIT TRACK” mean?
The audit track access to the course is free and you have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed. (If there is less than 10 weeks until the end of the course when you enrolled to it, you will have the time left until the course ends).
What does “VERIFIED TRACK” mean?
If you want to obtain the verified certificate of the course, you should opt for the verified mode, which costs 25 USD.
This way, in addition to the approval certificate, verified with your personal information, you will have access to all the course’s evaluations, and you will be able to consult the learning resources indefinitely. If you pass this course with 65%, you will also receive a digital badge that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
Enrich your experience by participating in the risk analysis of an economic and social development project in the field. Get to know the real work involved in risk management and enjoy an experience in the field that will consolidate the knowledge you acquired in the course.
Those participants who obtain the best scores at the end of the course will be entered into a raffle for the option to attend an IDB Risk Management Workshop in 2020.*
Therefore, the winner will be able to learn firsthand what the work of a risk manager entails and how to work as a team on managing this highly significant project management area. It will also be a great opportunity to network and meet people who are interested in the subject, as well as to learn from our specialists.
What are you waiting for? Register now for the Risk Management in Development Projects course and boost your career!
*The contest is available to residents of countries in the Americas and the Caribbean.