What Works in Education: Evidence-Based Education Policies
About this courseSkip About this course
This course has been organized around five key features of successful education systems:
- High goals for student achievement that guide all activities within an education system;
- Access to high-quality early childhood and preschool development programs that prepare students entering the school system;
- Effective teachers to improve learning and reduce achievement gaps among students;
- Access and effective use of adequate resources in all schools to promote student learning; and
- Ensuring that all young people acquire the skills necessary to reach their full potential in the professional world and contribute to society.
This course is "self-paced" so you can enroll at any time, even if the course has been open for a while. You can take it at the time that is most suitable for you inside the enrolment period of the course.
If you opt for the Audit track, you could complete the course free and have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed.
If you opt for the Verified track , you can access the course in an unlimited way and complete the qualified evaluations until the closing date, (Jan, 14th, 2022), after making a payment of $25 . If you pass, in addition to the verified certificate, you will obtain a digital badge *that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
*Did you know there is a financial aid to opt for the verified certificate?
1. Do you know that 77% of our certificate students affirm that our MOOCs helped them when they were looking for a job? Participate in the course and find out if you are eligible for an IDBx scholarship to obtain your verified certificate and digital badge for free!
2. edX financial help: edX offers financial assistance for learners who want to earn Verified Certificates but who may not be able to pay the Verified Certificate fee. Subscribe to the course and apply for financial assistance.
See more information in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
The course’s target audience includes those with interest in improving education through evidence-based education policies.
- The latest proven policies in education
- An applied understanding of which policies promote learning
- Evidence-based reform
- Successful cases from Latin America and the Caribbean and the rest of the world.
Module 1: Introduction
We will spend this module researching the main issues of education systems in Latin America and the Caribbean, while introducing the 5 dimensions of success in education policy that we will delve into in the following modules.
Module 2: High goals
Establish the need to define high-level student learning goals that guide all activities of the education system.
Module 3: Early education
To ensure that all students enter the school system ready to learn we must provide full access to high-quality early childhood development (ECD) and preschool programs.
Module 4: Effective teachers
We will understand why it is important to have high-quality teachers, and we will discuss the characteristics that a good teacher should have. and we will see how appropriate policies can help our region to improve teacher quality through an improvement in recruiting and talent management.
Module 5: Adequate resources
We will discuss how to ensure that all schools have adequate infrastructure, finance and technological resources and be able to use them effectively for improving learning. We will also address one of the most important issues our region faces in education: how to ensure that resources have a positive impact on most vulnerable populations.
Module 6: Relevant skills
We will discuss how to promote education policy to ensure that all young people acquire the necessary skills to achieve their maximum potential in the workplace and contribute to society.
About the instructors
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
What does “AUDIT TRACK” mean?
The audit track access to the course is free and you have 10 weeks to take the course from the day you subscribed.
What does “VERIFIED TRACK” mean?
If you want to obtain the verified certificate of the course, you should opt for the verified mode, which costs 25 USD, perform the edX identity verification process and achieve a final grade of 65% or more.
This way, in addition to the approval certificate, verified with your personal information, you will have access to all the course’s evaluations, and you will be able to consult the learning resources indefinitely. If you pass this course with 65%, you will also receive a digital badge that allows you to change the way you share your academic and professional achievements, as for example, on social media.
How can I apply for the IDBx scholarship to obtain the verified certificate and digital badge?
Participate in the course and find out if you are eligible for an IDBx scholarship to obtain your verified certificate and digital badge that have a value of 25 USD, free of charge.
To receive your scholarship you must follow these steps:
1. Participate in the course and you will receive an email to redeem your coupon on the platform and change your course mode to the certified. Keep an eye on your inbox!
2. The coupon expires 15 days after receiving the email with your coupon to redeem.