UniversityofCambridge: Capstone: Bringing it all together
Having completed the seven other courses in the MicroMasters in Writing for Performance and Entertainment Industries, this course gives you the opportunity to put it all together.
The course webinar will focus on the assignments and information regarding referencing, best practice and case studies will be provided throughout the course.
Passing this course is a pre-requisite for those wishing to use credit from MicroMasters in Writing for Performance and Entertainment industries as part of their application to the MSt in Writing for Performance at the University of Cambridge.
There is one session available:
Capstone: Bringing it all together
About this courseSkip About this course
In this capstone course we will bring together and apply the five most important components of writing successfully for performance and the entertainment industries, across all the mediums we have covered:
1: Understanding story structure, dialogue, character and theme
2: Understanding how to work as your own producer with an entrepreneur’s mindset
3: How to create commercially viable scripts
4: How to anticipate audience reception
5: How to challenge yourself to work experimentally, and to write outside your comfort zone
You will be asked to reflect critically on your experience as well as to refine your favourite piece of work from the course. We will look at best-practice career tips as well, and review one essential concept from each course.
Assessments for this course :
- 3000 word critical essay based upon a chosen aspect of performance theory or history. Deadline: 20 June 23:59 BST (UTC+1)
Feedback and marks will be given by our tutors by 11 July and this assignment must be passed at 60%. Each assignment will be double marked and assessed for original content.
For those progressing to the MSt, this mark will be carried forward as your mark for module 1.
You are encouraged to link this to your own writing practice, and may use ideas from throughout the programme.
- 10-page script in a medium of your choice. This will be peer-assessed in small groups and you must show evidence of providing as well as receiving feedback in order to pass the course. It will not be graded.
- Multiple choice test based upon understanding gained in the previous 7 courses.
Deadline: 4 July 23:59 BST (UTC+1)
This must be passed at 60% to pass the course and, therefore, MicroMasters program.
At a glance
- Institution: UniversityofCambridge
- Subject: Communication
- Level: Intermediate
Learners must have completed and verified all 7 prior courses in the MicroMasters program. They can have been studied in any order, but must be completed before undertaking the capstone course.
- Writing for Performance
- Writing Successfully for the Stage
- Building your Screenplay
- Business Success in the Screen Industries
- Digital Platforms in Performance
- Reconceiving space: installation and performance art
- Stand up!: Comedy writing and performance poetry
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- MicroMasters® Program in Writing for Performance and the Entertainment Industries
- Associated skills: Scripting, Entrepreneurship
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
This course is the culmination of the MicroMasters program and the learning from this individual course is based upon a consolidation of learning gained from the entire program, specifically:
- Specialised knowledge of histories, forms, and traditions of writing for performance and the entertainment industries as well as the cultural contexts of innovative practitioners and practices within performative writing; of contemporary critical, analytical, and narrative theories of performativity;
- Developed advanced self-management skills to include working in planned and improvisatory ways, as well as the ability to anticipate and accommodate change, ambiguity, creative risk-taking, uncertainty and unfamiliarity.