There is one session available:
Introduction to Software Defined Networking
About this courseSkip About this course
During the past decade we have witnessed a phenomenal growth in Industrial IoT applications (IIoT) and autonomous systems. This has resulted in a paradigm shift in the networking domain. As a networking professional, it is essential to understand how traditional networking has evolved into Software Defined Networking.
In this course, you will learn about Software Defined Networking for IoT applications. You will explore some core issues relevant to traditional networking, and discover how SDN can address issues such as network management, resource utilisation, and security and privacy.
The course has been designed to be hands-on, with a practical approach to help you better understand virtualisation, programmability in SDN, and REST API. You will also explore emerging Intent Based Networking for network automation.
This MOOC has been developed in association with the Cisco-Curtin Centre for Networks based at Innovation Central Perth within Curtin’s School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences. In addition to Massive Open Online Courses, the education component of the Centre for Networks (C4N) includes professional-level training courses, and undergraduate and postgraduate units, which all focus on network programmability, automation and analytics. C4N is undertaking important research to support industries looking for a simplified and more automated approach to managing their IT networks. These innovations have the potential to accelerate transformation across sectors such as health, education, defence, mining and government, as they work to converge their IT and operational networks.
At a glance
- Institution: CurtinX
- Subject: Computer Science
- Level: Introductory
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
However, learners will find it beneficial if they have completed the edX MOOC IOT1x Introduction to the Internet of Things (IoT) and/or have attained the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification.
You will also require a computer capable of running a Virtual Machine (VM) to complete lab tasks.
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills:Health Education, Autonomous System, Internet Of Things (IoT), Basic Math, Mathematical Sciences, Innovation, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Research, Electrical Engineering, Automation, RESTful API, Industrial Internet Of Things (IIoT)
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the evolution of networking from closed-loop traditional networking to Software Defined Networking
- Explain virtualisation and Software Defined Networking abstractions
- Apply programming skills to explain how SDN enables network infrastructure programming
- Explain how Software Defined Networking with Network Function Virtualisation may benefit IoT applications
- Explain the innovations in network automation and emerging Intent Based Networking
- Discover further opportunities (in areas such as business, education, etc.) in the field of Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualisation.