Using GPUs to Scale and Speed-up Deep Learning
About this courseSkip About this course
Please Note: Learners who successfully complete this IBM course can earn a skill badge — a detailed, verifiable and digital credential that profiles the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired in this course. Enroll to learn more, complete the course and claim your badge!
Training acomplex deep learning model with a very large data set can take hours, days and occasionally weeks to train. So, what is the solution? Accelerated hardware.
You can use accelerated hardware such as Google’s Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) or Nvidia GPU to accelerate your convolutional neural network computations time on the Cloud. These chips are specifically designed to support the training of neural networks, as well as the use of trained networks (inference). Accelerated hardware has recently been proven to significantly reduce training time.
But the problem is that your data might be sensitiveand you may not feel comfortable uploading it on a public cloud, preferring to analyze it on-premise. In this case, you need to use an in-house system with GPU support. One solution is to use IBM’s Power Systems with Nvidia GPU and Power AI. The Power AI platform supports popular machine learning libraries and dependencies including Tensorflow, Caffe, Torch, and Theano.
In this course, you'll understand what GPU-based accelerated hardware is and how it can benefit your deep learning scaling needs. You'll also deploy deep learning networks on GPU accelerated hardware for several problems, including the classification of images and videos.
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Torch (Machine Learning), Scalability, Electric Power Systems, Deep Learning, TensorFlow, Artificial Intelligence, Convolutional Neural Networks, Machine Learning, Artificial Neural Networks, Public Cloud
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Explain what GPU is, how it can speed up the computation, and its advantages in comparison with CPUs.
- Implement deep learning networks on GPUs.
- Train and deploy deep learning networks for image and video classification as well as for object recognition.
Module 1 – Quick review of Deep Learning
Intro to Deep Learning
Deep Learning Pipeline
Module 2 – Hardware Accelerated Deep Learning
How to accelerate a deep learning model?
Running TensorFlow operations on CPUs vs. GPUs
Convolutional Neural Networks on GPUs
Recurrent Neural Networks on GPUs
Module 3 – Deep Learning in the Cloud
Deep Learning in the Cloud
How does one use a GPU
Module 4 – Distributed Deep Learning
* Distributed Deep Learning
Module 5 – PowerAI vision
* Object recognition in Videos.