There is one session available:
About this courseSkip About this course
Why are hybrid vehicles still more common than battery electric ones? Why are electric vehicles still more expensive than conventional or hybrid ones? In this course, you will get the answers to this and much more.
While electric motors can improve vehicles regarding performance, energy consumption and emissions, they suffer from high cost and weight of batteries. Smart combinations of electric motors and combustion engines in a hybrid powertrain can combine these strengths with the advantages of combustion engines.
This course is aimed at learners with a bachelor's degree or engineers in the automotive industry who need to develop their knowledge about hybridpowertrains.
Inthis course, we willexamine different mechanical layouts of hybrid powertrains and how they influence the performance and complexity of the powertrain. Different sizing of powertrains in micro, mild, full hybrids, as well as plug-in hybrids, is also discussed and you'll learn how they can be modelled and analyzed for example by simulation of driving cycles. You will also learn about the Energy Management system and how this controls the hybrid powertrain modes and when to charge and discharge the battery.
As a result of support from MathWorks, students will be granted access to MATLAB/Simulink for the duration of the course.
At a glance
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in Battery Electric Vehicles and Hybrid Vehicles
- Associated skills:Electric Motors, MATLAB, Powertrain, Hybrid Vehicles, Electric Vehicles, Simulations, Simulink, Batteries, Energy Management Systems, Automotive Industry, Energy Consumption, Influencing Skills
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How to combine the strengths of electric and conventional powertrains
- Pros and cons of different types of hybrid powertrains
- Sizing of theelectric machine, battery and combustion engine
- How to control a hybrid powertrain
- Simulate a hybrid powertrain and its controller
- Analyze cost-effectiveness of different types of hybrid powertrains