There is one session available:
Engineering for Your Classroom 4–9
About this courseSkip About this course
Studies show that over 70% of future jobs will require STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) skills. Engineering activities provide students with a robust learning experience that will allow them to design, make, collaborate, inquire, and solve real-word problems in hands-on tasks and experiences. Welcome to the Engineering for Your Classroom (EFYC) online course for educators! This course is designed primarily for grades 4–9 educators including classroom teachers, teacher candidates and administrators, but can be useful for anyone who wants to gain knowledge about teaching STEM. It is open to all levels, from beginners to professionals. The course aims to provide educators with the necessary knowledge, skills and resources to incorporate engineering into the classroom or other educational settings.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Become familiar with engineering through interactive lessons and activities
- Become more comfortable and confident incorporating engineering in your classroom
- Inspire engineering thinking in learners through collaborative and stimulating hands-on activities
- Create online and in-person STEM activities using materials around you
- Find relevant resources that can be incorporated into your curriculum through STEM activities
- Incorporate general strategies for evaluating engineering activities
- Understand common key terms that come up throughout the course
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
What technology/equipment do I need to take these courses?
Each course is a browser-based course which can be completed on any laptop or desktop computer with an internet connection. You will be asked to upload photos of your work throughout the course, so access to a camera/webcam is useful but not required.
Do I get anything upon completion?
Yes! Upon completion of each course you will receive a certificate along with access to the many resources!
Can I take these courses if I don't teach in BC?
Of course! Anyone can sign up for these courses. Our courses will reference BC's curriculum throughout; however, you could modify the activities to fit your local curriculum.
Do I need any materials to complete this course?
Depending on the course, you will be asked to complete some activities using simple materials you likely already have at home such as cardboard, popsicle sticks, and elastics. Alternate material suggestions will always be provided.