There is one session available:
Executing Breakthrough Innovations with the Three Box Solution
About this courseSkip About this course
When companies launch Box 3 innovation initiatives, they typically allot most of their time and energy to the thrilling hunt for the breakthrough idea. That much-ballyhooed burst of inspiration is merely a starting point. The real innovation challenge lies beyond the idea. It lies in a long, hard journey—from imagination to impact.
In this course, part of the Leading Innovation Professional Certificate program, Vijay Govindarajan (VG) reveals how to execute a Box 3 innovation initiative. The crux of the challenge is that business organizations are not designed for innovation; they are designed for ongoing operations. And there are deep and fundamental conflicts between the two.
This course is based on the frameworks and ideas from The Three Box Solution: A Strategy for Leading Innovation book. Using three modules, VG shows you how to:
- Build the right team for your innovation initiative: Determine who will be on the team, how it will be structured, and how it can partner with ongoing operations. Anticipate and prevent conflicts.
- Run a disciplined experiment: Test assumptions, translate results into new knowledge, and measure progress.
The content of this course is relevant for a large corporation, a mid-size business, a startup or a nonprofit organization. Because innovation is a team sport, the course is useful for individuals who intend to advance careers in R&D, Engineering, Manufacturing, Marketing, Sales, Service, Human Resources, Accounting, and Finance.
At a glance
- Institution: DartmouthX
- Subject: Business & Management
- Level: Introductory
Completing Three Box Solution: Devoping Breakthrough Innovations, the first course in this series, is recommended.
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated programs:
- Professional Certificate in Leading Innovation with Vijay Govindarajan
- Associated skills: Operations, Imagination, Sales, Experimentation, Marketing, Innovation
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Module 1 Overcome the Forgetting Challenge: Building a Dedicated Team for the Box 3 innovation initiative
- Module 2 Overcome the Borrow Challenge: Creating a healthy partnership between the Dedicated Team and the Core Business and managing the resulting conflicts
- Module 3 Overcome the Learn Challenge: How to amplify weak signals and test critical assumptions that are inherent in Box 3 experiments